Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Derry Senior Football Championship: Murray’s double seals Ballinascreen’s shock win over Glenullin

Ballinascreen caused a shock when they beat Glenullin 3-2 to 1-7 in a gripping Derry Senior Football championship quarter-final clash.

A brilliant defensive display by the brothers McBride brothers, Mickey and Dermot, allied to the inventiveness of Eamonn Murray in attack, contributed to the upset.

Glenullin have only themselves to blame for not getting at least a draw, as Paddy Bradley missed two long range frees, his brother Eoin one and Gerard O’Kane fisted wide in the final play of the game.

Ballinascreen rained in high balls on top of a suspect Glenullin defence and were rewarded in the opening minute when Murray got his fist to a long ball from Cairan McElroy for the opening goal.

Paddy Bradley carried the danger for Glenullin and his 12th minute goal put them 1-2 to 1-0 in front.

Five minutes later Eoin McNicholl was picking the ball out of the Glenullin net after Gavin Bradley had collected a long ball from Murray to score a superb goal. A brace of Paddy Bradley points edged Glenullin in front again, but a Philip Bradley free left them level at the interval.

Glenullin were rocked in the opening minute of the second-half when Mickey McBride set up Murray for his second goal. Glenullin never got their noses in front again despite points from James McNicholl, Dominic McIlvar and Paddy Bradley. Ballinascreen’s only point from play by Murray signalled the end of Glenullin’s hopes.

Elsewhere Coleraine, rank outsiders at the start of the championship, set up a semi-final meeting with Ballinascreen after an impressive 3-14 to 0-10 win over Glen.

Glen had pulled back to level at 0-4 each after 18 minutes, but a brace of goals from Gregory Bradley and Colm McGoldrick left the Bannisders with a 2-7 to 0-5 interval lead. A third goal near the end by Barry McGoldrick made it a bad day for Mickey Culbert’s young side.

Championship favourites Ballinderry staged a strong comeback to beat Slaughtneil 0-13 to 0-11. Seven minutes into the second-half Slaughtneil led by 0-9 to 0-6, but with Enda Muldoon in vintage form at midfield and Colin Devlin superb in attack the Shamrocks were level through a Devlin free. As Slaughtneil faded Ballinderry had enough to carve out a win.

Defending champions Loup fought back from 1-11 to 1-1 down with 14 men, after John Young was red carded, to narrow the gap to four points with five minutes left only to lose 1-15 to 1-8.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph