Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Derry

Oak Leafs time fightback to perfection to frustrate Hyland

Cavan 0-18 Derry 1-17

By Paul Fitzpatrick

Cavan manager Terry Hyland refused to be drawn on his future after his side were ambushed by a Derry outfit who timed their run perfectly and beat the hosts by a neck on the line to make it three wins from three in the back door.

"I always get amused when I get asked that question," replied Hyland when asked whether he would remain on as Breffni boss after what was a most disappointing loss for the Blues, who looked at one stage as if they would secure the win.

"I don't know, really, why the media comes out with this rubbish," added Hyland, who was obviously left frustrated by the result.

What made it so was that, early on, they looked comfortably the better team as a pattern stitched itself to the match. Cavan routed Derry's kick-out and were in command after 20 minutes.

By the 18-minute mark, points from Cian Mackey, Dara McVeety (two) and Martin Reilly had helped Cavan into a deserved 0-8 to 1-2 lead, with Derry relying on pot shots from James Kielt and Mark Lynch and a fisted goal from Emmet McGuckin to stay in touch.

Kielt was black-carded soon after and it looked set up for Cavan.

However, the Oak Leaf men began to gain a foothold with short kick-outs and received a huge boost when Cavan's Feargal Flanagan was dismissed on a straight red before the break, by which point Cavan led by 0-11 to 1-4.

Within four minutes of the start of the second half Conor McAtamney and man of the match Lynch had cut the gap to just two points and Derry would go on to dominate the second half.

Cavan were reliant on goalkeeper Ray Galligan - who kicked three from the ground - for scores whereas Damien Barton's men were capitalising on whatever came their way, with Lynch, McGuckin and sub Niall Toner, who scored 0-3, very impressive.

Still, the 14 men of Cavan held Derry at arm's length until the game turned when Sean Johnston inexplicably missed a 20-metre free and Derry drove forward, Danny Heavron firing over.

Lynch, Toner and replacement Niall Loughlin (with a 45) brought the scores level and then Lynch nudged the north west visitors in front for the first time in an hour.

Back came Cavan and McVeety but the tide was now flowing in one direction.

And huge points from McGuckin, Lynch and Enda Lynn in a devastating final couple of minutes saw Derry surge clear to secure victory.

Cavan: R Galligan (0-3f), K Brady, R Dunne, P Faulkner, F Flanagan, C Moynagh (0-1), M Reilly (0-2), T Corr, M Argue (0-1), D McVeety (0-3), G McKiernan (0-4, 3f), K Clarke, C Mackey (0-1), J Brady (0-1f), S Johnston (0-1f)

Subs: N Murray for Argue (HT), C Brady for Faulkner (45 mins), J McLoughlin for K Brady (53 mins), T Hayes for Johnston (57 mins), G Smith (0-1) for Corr (66 mins), L Buchanan for Mackey (70 mins)

Derry: T Mallon, G McKinless, C McKaigue, K McKaigue, C McFaul, B Rogers, C Mullan, C McAtamney (0-1), N Holly, D Heavron (0-1), C Bradley (0-1), E Brown, J Kielt (0-1), E McGuckin (0-1), M Lynch (0-7, 4f)

Subs: E Lynn (0-1) for Kielt (25 mins, BC), N Loughlin (0-1, 45) for Brown (31 mins), N Toner (0-3) for C Bradley (48 mins), E Bradley for McAtamney (52 mins), L McGoldrick for Rogers (60 mins), N Forester for McFaul (70 mins)

Referee: E Kinsella (Laois)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph