Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Derry

Slaughtneil stay on course to reclaim title

Christopher Bradley
Christopher Bradley
John Campbell

By John Campbell

Slaughtneil took a step closer to reclaiming the Derry Senior Football Championship title as they overcame a gallant Ballinderry side in yesterday's quarter-final tie at Glen (1-14 to 0-11).

Having won four titles on the trot until they were knocked off their perch last year by Eoghan Rua, Coleraine, Slaughtneil look intent on ascending the Oak Leaf throne again, particularly as several key players appear to be in top form.

Christopher Bradley was certainly on song against Ballinderry by helping himself to the only goal of the game and contributing a shoal of points, while Shane McGuigan, Sé McGuigan and Brendan Rogers were all very much to the fore.

Daniel McKinless and Ryan Bell worked hard to keep Ballinderry in contention but Slaughtneil were able to finish strongly and now find themselves in the last four.

Banagher are also through following their 1-11 to 0-11 win over Swatragh with Niall Moore's goal proving decisive in the end.

In the Down Senior Football Championship quarter-final replay, Kilcoo just managed to get the better of reigning champions Burren by 2-12 to 2-9.

Burren led by 2-5 to 0-7 at half-time with their goals coming from Conor Toner and Donal O'Hare, but Kilcoo stepped up a gear after the break.

Conor Laverty, now part of the Monaghan management set-up, rifled in a goal but Burren battled to the end. In a tense finish, a Michael Devlin point and a Paul Devlin goal from a penalty got Kilcoo over the line.

Holders Coalisland Fianna will meet Trillick in the Tyrone Senior Football Championship semi-final following their handsome 2-14 to 1-8 win over Killyclogher yesterday.

Tiernan Quinn proved the ace in the Coalisland pack by scoring 2-2 while Brian Toner and Michael McKernan also excelled. Conall McCann netted Killyclogher's goal while Richie Donnelly landed a brace of points with his brother Tyrone skipper Mattie also getting on the scoresheet.

Errigal Ciaran also advanced to the semi-finals by beating Omagh St Enda's by 2-13 to 1-10.

A Peter Harte goal helped to steer Errigal Ciaran into a 1-5 to 0-4 half-time lead but it was when Odhran Robinson added a second that they really took control. Though Hugh Gallagher managed to pirate a goal for the Omagh side, it proved to be too little, too late.

Trillick are also through to the last four following a hard-earned 2-11 to 1-9 over a gritty Clonoe outfit. It took a late Niall Gormley goal to seal Trillick's win, Damien Kelly having posted their first goal in the 34th minute to which Dan McNulty replied with Clonoe's goal four minutes later after the sides had been deadlocked (0-6 each) at half-time.

With Edendork and Carrickmore having finished level (0-11 each), this match now goes to a replay and the winners will meet Errigal Ciaran.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph