| 2.8°C Belfast

Donegal are left full of regret after falling apart

Wrap up


Bang on: Michael Murphy was on target for Donegal

Bang on: Michael Murphy was on target for Donegal

�INPHO/Evan Logan

Bang on: Michael Murphy was on target for Donegal

Galway came from seven points down to win in Donegal - but boss Padraic Joyce railed against the GAA's timing issues.

Galway held on for a precious 2-8 to 2-7 win but Donegal were left kicking themselves.

Twice in almost eight minutes of added time Donegal had chances to draw level, but Ciaran Thompson and Michael Murphy - their goalscorers - were both off cue.

"Something needs to happen with it to be honest because we saw it last night in Croke Park with Monaghan and again there today," Joyce said.

"We were told five minutes of injury time and there was nine and a half played."

Corner-backs Johnny Heaney and Sean Kelly bagged the goals as Galway overturned a 2-5 to 0-4 deficit to turn the tables on Donegal.

Murphy's first-half penalty and Thompson's goal, seven minutes into the second half, had Donegal in front by seven.

When Heaney netted straight after Thompson's major, the tide began to turn and Galway carved out a priceless away win.

On Saturday night, Monaghan saw a nine-point lead evaporate in the final 10 minutes at Croke Park as Dublin fought back to draw.

Monaghan were 1-14 to 0-8 in front after an hour and Conor McManus' goal, just 43 seconds into the game, looked as if it would be decisive.

However, the Dubs outscored them 1-7 to 0-1 in the last 10 minutes.

Kevin McManamon plundered a last-minute goal, but it was Colm Basquel's point, in the 80th minute, that drew the game level for the final time.

Derry's U20s, meanwhile, overcame Fermanagh U20s 1-13 to 1-8 to move into the Ulster quarter-finals.

Derry needed extra time with Cormac Murphy netting the goal and sub Alex Doherty hitting five points.

The Oak Leafs came from 1-5 to 0-3 behind at the break when Sean Cassidy's goal looked critical.

Belfast Telegraph