Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Down

Kerr the hero as late show takes Galbally into the semis

Daniel Kerr
Daniel Kerr
John Campbell

By John Campbell

Daniel Kerr made himself a hero in Tyrone yesterday when his late goal paved the way for Galbally to edge past Cavan side Laragh United in the Ulster Club Intermediate Football Championship.

The match had looked as if it might end in deadlock until Kerr blazed the ball to the back of the Laragh net to give his side the narrowest of victories on a 1-17 to 2-13 scoreline.

The sides were deadlocked at 0-11 to 1-8 at half-time and in a tense second half Galbally held their nerve to reach the semi-finals.

But there was disappointment for Fermanagh intermediate title holders Kinawley and Antrim champions St James' Aldergrove as both lost out in their bid to reach the last-four.

Donegal side St Naul's, splendidly led by Stuart Johnston, overcame the Aldergrove outfit by 2-10 to 1-10 having led by 1-7 to 1-3 at half-time.

St James' missed several scoring opportunities in a game in which each team had a player dismissed.

Kinawley, with the Corrigan brothers Tomas and Ruairi on board, found the going tough against Down title holders Glenn after they had made a good start.

The sides were level at half-time by which time Kinawley had landed 0-5 while Glenn had scored 1-2 but Patrick Brooks, who scored 1-1 in the opening six minutes of the match, added further points in the second half to take them on another step towards the provincial title.

And former Monaghan ace Tommy Freeman was very much on fire in a Magheracloone side that overcame Derry representatives Foreglen by 3-10 to 2-10. Freeman still poses a big threat up front and the Foreglen defence encountered difficulty in coping with his pace and wiles, not to mention his deft scoring touch.

The line-up for the Ulster Intermediate Club Championship semi-finals is Magheracloone v Glenn and Galbally v St Naul's, which should make for two extremely interesting games between sides which clearly harbour ambitions of success.

In keeping with the pattern of closely-contested matches at all levels in the current Ulster Club Football Championship, it took a penalty shoot-out to determine the outcome of the Buncrana v Rock junior semi-final on Saturday.

Buncrana eventually won 4-3, John Campbell's goal proving the winning score after the sides had been deadlocked at 1-14 to 2-11 at the end of extra-time.

Conor McGarrity and Shea Litter scored Rock's goals as they compiled their 2-11 while Campbell's first-half goal had boosted Buncrana prior to his match-winning score.

In the other semi-final, Monaghan side Blackhill staged a strong comeback to overcome Cavan neighbours Killinkere by 1-14 to 2-9 after extra-time.

Late points from Thomas Courtney and James Daly proved crucial in taking Blackhill over the line after goals from Liam McCabe and Paul Brady had helped to sustain Killinkere's challenge.

Philip Donnelly, the fleet-footed Blackhill half-forward, was man of the match.

His mazy running and clever use of space kept the Killinkere defence on its toes for the duration of the game.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph