Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Dunne drives St Eunan's in Ulster glory bid

By Staff Reporter

St Eunan's manager Maxi Curran has said the Donegal champions are looking to make amends for previous hurt in the Ulster Club Championship.

Conall Dunne hit 1-4 as the Letterkenny team comfortably defeated a disappointing Roslea at O’Donnell Park to reach the semi-final.

For a club with 14 Donegal SFC titles to its name, this was only St Eunan’s third ever win at Ulster level, and their first ever home win in the competition.

“There is definitely an itch in these boys regarding the Ulster club and they do feel that they have let themselves down and that they haven’t achieved what they could have achieved over the years,” Curran said.

“They should have been growing year-on-year in Ulster so there is a hunger and desire there that is probably accounting for some of the fatigue that is there.

“There is a real desire to achieve and to do themselves justice. It’s an exciting time for us,” he added.

Dunne was on fire in the first half when St Eunan’s soared into an eight-point lead that had them effectively home and hosed with half-an-hour still to play.

Dunne, with four, and Kevin Rafferty — who overcome an injury scare to take his place at centrefield — got St Eunan’s off and running before the hosts got the killer score, the goal, in the final minute of the opening period.

John Haran was needlessly pulled back by Niall Cassidy and referee Ronan Barry awarded a penalty that was coolly dispatched to the net by Dunne.

Roslea were given a pre-match boost as Sean Quigley

Dunne drives St Eunan’s in Ulster glory bidwas given the green light to play after a knee injury rendered him a major doubt.

The Fermanagh champions were as insipid as St Eunan’s were inspired in the first half.

It took them 27 minutes to get a shot away and, by the interval, were still drawing a blank as St Eunan’s led 1-5 to no score. A Seamus Quigley free in the 40th minute finally broke the Roslea duck, but with Conor Parke, Rory Carr and Conor Gibbons on the mark, St Eunan’s turned the screw.

It was the 54th minute before Roslea managed to get their first score from play.

By then, St Eunan’s — just seven days after defeating Glenswilly in the Donegal SFC final — had their toes tagged for the semi-finals and a meeting with St Enda’s of Omagh.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph