Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Errigal Ciaran’s ruthless streak pays dividends

By Kevin Kelly

Errigal Ciaran 4-15 Mullahoran 1-07: Tyrone champions Errigal Ciaran experienced little difficulty in advancing to the quarter-finals of the Ulster Club Championship when they ran out emphatic winners over outplayed Cavan champions Mullahoran at Kingspan Breffni Park.

It was a contest that the winners were always in control of after getting the boost of an early goal and they were well on their way to victory by half-time after establishing a 2-6 to 1-3 lead.

By that stage the Cavan champions were down to 14 men after newly crowned World Handball champion Paul Brady was straight red carded in the closing stages of the half within minutes of coming on as a substitute.

Enda O’Reilly and Ronan McRory traded early points before Errigal Ciaran notched their first goal after only four minutes when Damien McDermott capitalised on a mistake in the Mullahoran defence to finish to the net.

McRory then landed another superb point before the Cavan champions responded from an Eddie O’Reilly placed ball.

The Tyrone men were looking the sharper side though and they moved further in front when McDermott knocked over a free.

In the 17th minute Mullahoran looked as though they were right back in the game when Fergal Brady scored a goal but two minutes later man of the match Peter Harte burst forward to just reply in kind at the other end of the field.

Errigal Ciaran made better use of their possession with McDermott and Caolan Tierney both registering and with Mullahoran facing the second half with only 14 on the field the writing was on the wall for them.

Enda McGinley and Eddie O’Reilly exchanged points on the resumption before Errigal keeper John Devine came to his side’s rescue to save well from Philip Brady.

Tyrone defender Davy Harte then joined the attack to land a superb point and when the Canavan brothers Tommy and Darren weighed in with a point each there was no way back for Mullahoran.

With a dozen minutes remaining the outstanding Peter Harte surged forward again before unselfishly squaring the ball for full forward Bryan Horisk to then finish to the net from close range.

Stefan Tierney, Darren Canavan, McRory and Tommy Canavan all added points with Mullahoran’s sole response coming from Dermot Sheridan.

With a couple of minutes left to play the Tyrone champions put the icing on the cake when McRory played the ball inside to Horisk and eventhough his shot was saved, the rebound fell kindly for Tommy Canavan who had the easy task of finishing to the net from close range.

Mullahoran: E Brady, S Smith, K Brady, J Reilly, D Sheridan (0-1), Patrick Brady, M Brady, S Shiels, P Galligan, D Smith, Enda O’Reilly (0-4), R Lynch, Philip Brady, Eddie O’Reilly (0-2), F Brady (1-0). Subs: Paul Brady for Lynch, N Smith for Reilly.

Errigal Ciaran: J Devine, A McCrory, M McCrory, C Quinn, S Tierney (0-2), P Harte (1-0), D Harte (0-1), Cormac McGinley, E McGinley (0-1), Ciaran McGinley, T Canavan (1-2), C Tierney (0-1), D McDermott (1-2), B Horisk (1-1), R McRory (0-3). Subs: D Canavan (0-2) for McDermott, S Hackett for E McGinley, P Quinn for D Harte, N McGarvey for Ciaran McGinley.

Referee: P Hughes (Armagh).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph