Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Fermanagh 0-11 Wicklow 0-09

Fermanagh maintained their 100 per cent NFL Division Four start in a two point victory over Wicklow at Brewster Park.

However, if the visitors had been able to take any of the four goal chances they carved out then this game may have had a different outcome with Peter Canavan’s side hanging on in the end.

Fermanagh rode their luck as they saw out the game and with four wins out of four, they remain on course for promotion.

Canavan’s side were the livelier in the opening stages. Paul Ward registered the first score from a free, followed by a good score from corner back Niall Bogue.

Brian Cox tagged on a third and full forward Seamus Quigley opened his account from a free before Wicklow finally got off the mark through a wonderful point from full forward Seanie Furlong and with Leighton Glynn knocking over their second soon after it halved the Fermanagh lead.

The home side were wasteful in the first half but Conor Quigley did land a good score to make it 0-05 to 0-02 before Rory Finn and Seamus Quigley exchanged fine points as Fermanagh remained three points to the good.

Midfielder Eoin Donnelly banged over a long range effort to restore the four point lead. But Fermanagh then lived dangerously with Wicklow twice denied by the woodwork. Wicklow’s Tony Hannon did convert two frees but the last say of the half went to Fermanagh as Ward fired over from an acute angle to leave it 0-08 to 0-05 at the break.

Furlong notched the first point of the half for Wicklow but Fermanagh replied with a Seamus Quigley free and a point from play from Daryl Keenan.

Furlong cut the deficit to three from another free but Quigley slotted over for Fermanagh to make it 0-11 to 0-07 with 13 minutes to go. Hayden and Glynn closed the gap to two points with late points but Fermanagh held on for a boost as they travel to Waterford next weekend.

Fermanagh: C. Snow; N. Bogue (0-01), B. Owens, M. Jones; C. Quigley (0-01), R. McCluskey, B. Mulrone; E. Donnelly (0-01), J. Sherry; D. Keenan (0-01), R. Jones, B. Cox (0-01); P. Ward (0-02, 1f), S. Quigley (0-04, 2f), M. Little. Subs: S. McCabe for Cox, N. McGovern for M. Jones, T. Corrigan for Ward, D. McCusker for Little.

Wicklow: J. Flynn; D. Hayden (0-01), A. McLoughlin, S. Kelly; M. McLoughlin, R. Finn (0-01), A. Byrne; J. Stafford, N. Gaffney; L. Glynn (0-02, 1f), T. Hannon (0-02, 2f), D. O’Sullivan; P. Earls, S. Furlong (0-03, 2f), S. Byrne. Subs: A. O’Malley for Hannon, P. Burke for O’Sullivan, A. Merriman for Gaffney, D. Healy for S. Byrne, P. Dalton for O’Malley.

Referee: Con Reynolds (Down)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph