Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Fermanagh 2-15 Leitrim 0-07

Seamus Quigley scored 2-6 as Fermanagh romped to a comfortable win over Leitrim at Brewster Park to remain unbeaten in Division Four.

Peter Canavan's side had already secured promotion last week with victory over Carlow and although it took them 15 minutes to open their account against Leitrim, they went on to control proceedings as they cruised to victory.

The Ernesiders will now face Wicklow in the Division Four final at Croke Park on April 28 after the Garden County defeated Clare in Aughrim to join Fermanagh in promotion to Division Three.

Quigley was left out of the side that started against Carlow last week but returned to great affect at Brewster Park as he gave the Leitrim defence a torrid time.

By the break he had notched 1-5 and went on to grab a second goal before being withdrawn in the second half.

Leitrim had taken the lead through a Kevin Conlon point but Fermanagh were dictating matters around the middle third of the pitch and once Daniel Kille banged over their opening score, they went on to dominate.

Ryan Jones quickly added a second before Quigley got up and running with a point from play and another from a free.

Leitrim responded with points from Emlyn Mulligan and Wayne McKeon but Fermanagh rattled over four unanswered points from Quigley (3) and Eoin Donnelly before the former netted his first goal at the end of the first half.

Conor Quigley's long ball was met by his brother Seamus who fisted to the net to leave it 1-8 to 0-3 at the interval.

Canavan introduced Damian Kelly and Paul Ward at the break for Barry Mulrone and Brian Og Maguire, and Fermanagh swiftly added to their advantage as Shane McCabe blasted over from close range before Ward chipped in with a point.

Shane Moran landed Leitrim's first point of the second half but Fermanagh continued to pile on the scores with Daryl Keenan, Quigley and Ryan Jones on target.

And Quigley then pounced for a second goal as he met a centre from the impressive McCabe to again fist home.

This was to be the last action of the game for McCabe and Quigley as they were replaced by Marty McGrath and Sean Quigley, Mulligan then firing over three frees for Leitrim.

However, these were simply consolation scores and Fermanagh wrapped up a comprehensive win with a fine long range point from Daryl Keenan to see them head to Croke Park on the back of an unbeaten campaign.

Fermanagh: R Gallagher; N McGovern, J Woods, M Jones, C Quigley, R McCluskey, B Mulrone, S Lyons, E Donnelly (0-1), D Keenan (0-2), S McCabe (0-1), B Og Maguire, R Jones (0-2), D Kille (0-2), Seamus Quigley (2-6, 3f). Subs: D Kelly for Mulrone, P Ward (0-1) for Og Maguire, M McGrath for Seamus Quigley, Sean Quigley for McCabe, P Cosgrove for Donnelly.

Leitrim: C McCrann; J Glancy, C Egan, D Beck, C Clarke, F McMorrow, W McKeon (0-1); D Lowe, S Moran (0-1), P Brennan, R Lowe, C Ryan, K Conlon (0-1), P McGowan, E Mulligan (0-4, 3f). Subs: D Sweeney for Beck, E Williams for D Lowe, R Cox for Conlon, G Hickey for R Lowe.

Referee: S McLaughlan.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph