Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Fermanagh pay penalty for Corrigan's missed chance

Meath 2-12 Fermanagh 0-14

Fermanagh's bid for back-to-back promotions ended in disappointment in Pairc Tailteann, Navan as Meath claimed a 2-12 to 0-14 victory that secured promotion for the Royal County.

Fermanagh looked well placed when they were awarded a penalty nine minutes into the second half but Tomas Corrigan saw his effort saved by Paddy O'Rourke.

And four minutes later the Ernemen suffered a further blow as they were reduced to 14 men as Declan McCusker's red card followed an off-he-ball incident.

The decisive score arrived 10 minutes from time when Meath substitute Paddy Gilsenan tucked home his side's second goal to give them a four-point cushion entering the final stages.

The first half was a well contested affair with Meath getting off to the brighter start as Eamonn Wallace fired over to open the scoring.

Fermanagh though began to settle and Corrigan clipped over a free while two quick-fire points from Ryan Jones put Peter Canavan's side ahead.

The Royals hit back to level, but Fermanagh appeared to be getting a grip on matters as they struck four points in a row to move into a 0-3 to 0-7 lead.

Back came Meath again and they levelled when Newman converted a penalty after Marty McGrath fouled Peadar Byrne.

The sides swapped points and at the break the contest was right in the balance at 1-5 to 0-8.

Meath, with the advantage of the breeze in the second half, edged in front thanks to a Graham Reilly point but Fermanagh replied as Tommy McElroy blazed over while Corrigan then converted a free to make it 1-06 to 0-10.

When O'Rourke then bundled over Paul Ward, Fermanagh had a chance to increase their lead but Corrigan's penalty was saved by O'Rourke.

And matters got worse for Fermanagh when McCusker was given his marching orders, although they remained in touch and with 10 minutes to go only one point divided the sides.

However, Gilsenan tucked home a good goal and it gave Meath control of things in the latter stages and, although Corrigan cut the gap back two points, late efforts from Newman and Gilsenan ensured victory for Meath.

Meath: P. O'Rourke; D. Keoghan, B. Menton, C. Young; C. Lenihan, K. Reilly, D. Dalton; B. Meade, C. Gillespie; D. Larkin, G. Reilly (0-02), P. Byrne; E. Wallace (0-01), S. Bray (0-03), M. Newman (1-5, 4f, 1-00 pen). Subs: P. Gilsenan (1-01) for Larkin, S. Curran for Young, B. Farrell for Wallace, J. Sheridan for Byrne

Fermanagh: C. Snow; R. McCluskey, A. McGuinness, J. Woods; M. O'Brien, B. Cox, D. McCusker; R. Jones (0-02), M. McGrath (0-01); T. McElroy (0-02), S. McCabe, D. Kelly; P. Ward (0-01, 1f), T. Corrigan (0-08, 6f), D. Keenan. Subs: C. Quigley for Kelly, B. Owens for McGrath, D. Kille for Ward, D. Keenan for McCluskey.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph