Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Forward power is the secret to second Saffrons victory

Antrim 3-25 Kildare 3-13

By David Mohan

Antrim's hurlers made it two wins from two at Ballycastle yesterday, but their relatively comfortable 12-point victory over Kildare was not without its problems.

Going forward, the Saffrons were red hot, hitting an impressive 3-25 with the full forward line of Conor Johnston, Saul McCaughan and Ciaran Clarke contributing 3-13 between them, but there were holes in defence that were exploited by the Lilywhites who plundered three goals.

Still, this was a game to be won and Antrim did just that.

After the early exchanges, they made use of the wind advantage with the impressive Kevin McKernan opening their account before McCaughan and Clarke (two) got in on the act.

Kildare were certainly not there to make up the numbers and their star man, Gerry Keegan, got them on the board before Philip Cocoman intercepted the subsequent puck out to split the posts.

Conor Johnston and Martin Fitzgerald traded scores before the visitors hit the first goal of the game when a mistake from Conor McKinley allowed Jack Sheridan the opportunity to gather, race in on goal and finish to the net to give Kildare a 1-3 to 0-5 lead on 13 minutes.

Antrim were soon back in front, however, as McKernan hit a couple of points and while Nail O Muineachain levelled soon after, when Eddie McCloskey restored the advantage for the home side, they were to hold this lead until the final whistle.

Antrim actually hit something of a purple patch then, with this score a run of 1-7, the goal coming on 23 minutes when McCaughan produced a delightful flick to make space before burying to the net.

By the time Kildare added to their tally with a Fitzgerald free on 29 minutes, they trailed by nine and this remained the gap at the half with Antrim leading by 1-15 to 1-6.

Antrim continued to push on after the break with Niall McKenna hitting a couple of scores and Ciaran Clarke also pointing, but Kildare continued to battle and they were rewarded on 47 minutes when O Muineachain went on a powerful run, passed to Sheridan who cracked home his second goal of the day.

McKenna hit back with a point immediately and on 50 minutes McCaughan rose superbly to fetch McKenna's dropping shot and fired his into the net.

However, Kildare cancelled this goal out straight away as a long, seemingly harmless ball was missed by Gabriel McTaggart in the Antrim goal and Gerry Keegan nipped in to whip the ball home.

Keegan then hit a point to trim the gap back to nine, but any notions of an unlikely comeback were put to bed when Ciaran Clarke hit Antrim's goal after making a run in on the left.

The sides were to hit four scores apiece in the closing stages, but the result was never in doubt as Antrim collected another two points to leave them level with Westmeath at the top of the 2A table ahead of their trip to Mullingar in two weeks' time.

ANTRIM: G McTaggart; O McFadden, N McAuley, C McKinley; S McCrory (0-1), Ciaran Johnston, B McFall; K McKernan (0-5, 1 free), J McGreevy (0-2); E McCloskey (0-1), N McKenna (0-3), D Nugent; Conor Johnston (0-3), S McCaughan (2-1), C Clarke (1-9, 0-5 frees, 0-1 65). Subs: B Graham for O McFadden (60 mins), S Beatty for D Nugent (60 mins), D McCloskey for C McKinley (66 mins), S McAFee for K McKernan (66 mins), J Connolly for S McCaughan (66 mins).

KILDARE: P Dermody; C Gordon, M Grace, J Doran; R Bergin, M Moloney, P Divilly; P Ryan, N O Muineachain (0-1); P Cocoman (0-1), M Fitzgerald (0-7, 6 frees), J Byrne; R casey (0-1), G Keegan (1-4), J Sheridan (2-0). Subs: D Flaherty for P Ryan (HT), S Gainey for J Byrne (51 mins), C Forde for M Grace (57 mins), F O Muineachain for J Doran (57 mins), T Brady for F O Muineachain (60 mins).

Referee: David Hughes (Carlow)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph