Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Glenswilly just outsmarted us: Seamus Quigley

Emulating the Roslea team of 1982 and reaching an Ulster final was the unspoken ambition of the squad this year, but they ended up leaving Healy Park on Sunday desperately disappointed that their naivety and predictability cost them that chance.

In the end, they left themselves too much to do by falling into a tactical trap. Glenswilly were well aware of the threat posed by Roslea's favouring of the diagonal long ball into Seamus Quigley, so they detailed Eamon Ward on him as a man-marker, with Brian McDaid and Kealan McFadden standing close by as sweepers.

Quigley might have finished with 1-4 beside his name, but his normal influence was curtailed.

His brother Conor Quigley provided the dash coming out of the Roslea defence, but his fine personal performance came as no consolation at the final whistle.

"When you have opportunities like this here you like to progress to a final," he said.

"Unfortunately the first half let us down. They were leading by six points at half-time and it was always going to be an uphill battle. The lads fought hard in the second half but it just wasn't to be."

The period immediately after half-time summed up Roslea's day; for long periods they were the better side and in the first five minutes of the second half they hit three wides before changing tack, running through with the ball and registering two consecutive points.

But indiscipline and a lack of concentration was to cost them when referee Ciaran Branagan moved a free forward for dissent, making a Gary McFadden free eminently scoreable, before a scuffed long-range Michael Murphy free was flicked to the net by Colin Kelly.

"The first half was too predictable from ourselves," continued Quigley.

"We were too predictable, kept pumping the ball in and they had four boys back, it was simple for them at times.

"We were running at speed but we weren't tracking our men back. We weren't being cute enough out the field, at this level you have to be.

"When they were coming through in threes and fours, you can't defend against that."

The decision to take the game to Glenswilly changed the flow of the game.

Quigley explained: "At half-time, we were out anyway so it made no difference. We decided we might as well get beaten by 20 points as by one, we had to go out and give it our all and see where that would take us.

"We did that, but we weren't clinical and smart enough. That's the way it goes," he added.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph