Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Impressive win leaves St Galls in seventh heaven

St Gall's 0-15 Lamh Dearg 0-10

St Gall's, once again, proved that they are the kingpins of Antrim senior football as they collected the championship trophy for a seventh time in eight years at sunny Casement Park.

The Milltown men turned in a sound second half display to defeat Lamh Dhearg by 0-15 to 0-10.

It was a worthy win for St Gall's. The challengers from the city suburb of Hannahstown produced a defiant first half performance with sharpshooter Paddy Cunningham tossing over six points, four from play for Lamh Dhearg to lead at the break by 0-8 to 0-7.

It was a highly entertaining opening 30-odd minutes with midfield man Conor Murray rifling over the lead for Lamh Dhearg right on the blow. The losers were well worthy of their slight advantage but the second half was a different story.

St Gall's, with man-of-the-match Aodhan Gallagher in tremendous form, controlled the midfield sector. However, the city side didn't make full use of their overall advantage and scored only five points in 21 minutes to lead by 0-12 to 0-8. They added another in the 57th minute before Lamh Dhearg got their first scores of the second period.

Those scores closed the gap to three but Hannahstown couldn't muster up any more scores as St Gall's clinched the title.

ST GALL'S : R Gallagher; C Brady, A McLean, S Kennedy (0-1); M Kelly, S Kelly (0-1), A Healy; S Burke, A Gallagher; T O'Neill (0--2), Kieran McGourty (0-3), K Niblock (0-2); C Gallagher, Kevin McGourty (0-1), K Stewart (0-3, 2f). Subs: CJ McGourty (0-2) for Stewart (52), S Burns for Niblock (57), P Veronica for Kennedy (65), A Hannaway for M Kelly (66).

LAMH DHEARG: J Finucane ; C Nolan, T McKiernan, T Allwell; C Kelly, K Murray, B Elliott; G Brown, C Murray (0-1); M Herron, P Tumelty, B Herron (0-1); P Cunningham (0-7, 3f), G Walls, M Lynch. Subs: C Smyth for Walls (39), B McCruddden (0-1) for Tumelty (41), S Elliott for B Elliott (57), N Noade for Brown (57), M Lynch for K Murray (63). Referee:- P Quinn (St Comgall's)

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph