Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Long wait for Tyrone final is over as Clonoe hold firm

Clonoe made it through to their first Tyrone senior championship final since 1991 when they defeated Donaghmore 1-9 to 2-3 at O’Neill Park, Dungannon on Saturday.

Damian Cassidy’s side dominated the opening quarter to establish a 0-4 to 0-0 lead with Patrick Doris hitting a couple of points but a Shane Mulgrew goal got Eugene McKenna’s team’s challenge up and running and with Patrick Doherty converting a free it was Donaghmore who held a slender advantage at the break.

Clonoe got level on the restart with a Ryan O’Neill point but then Daniel Grimes netted for Donaghmore. They failed to score again however as Clonoe hit back.

A well-worked move down the field saw Ryan O’Neill’s shot well saved but the ball went up in the air and substitute PJ Lavery reacted first to palm to the net to level matters. Donaghmore then lost left half back Gary Hetherington to a second yellow card offence before O’Neill, Colm Donnelly and Steven McNulty found the target as Clonoe ended a 17-year wait to reach the final.

The Intermediate championship final took place at Carrickmore on Sunday afternoon and it produced a shock result with Trillick upsetting the odds to beat a star-studded Moy side that included four of Tyrone’s All Ireland winning team.

Trillick raced into a 0-5 to 0-0 lead with Philip McGread landing four points as Moy struggled. It took Moy 25 minutes to open their account via a Sean Cavanagh free but moments later they were dealt a blow when his brother Colm was red carded as Trillick led 0-6 to 0-2 at half time.

In the second half Moy were the better side despite being a man down but their shooting let them down as they kicked fifteen wides to their opponents four over the course of the hour. Peter Loughran, Padraig Lavery and the outstanding Philip Jordan had Moy points to reduce the deficit to the minimum but they could never get level and a McGread free four minutes into injury time, Trillick’s only score of the second half, secured the Paddy Cullen Cup.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph