Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Loup 1-10 Derrygonnelly 1-06

Loup eased into a semi-final meeting with Down champions Kilcoo after this comfortable win over Derrygonnelly.

After impressing in the first-half, despite trailing 0-7 to 0-6 at the interval, Derrygonnelly were simply blown away by Loup and the only score they managed in the second period was an injury time goal from substitute Peter Gallagher.

The man who turned the game in the Derry champions favour was Paul McFlynn, who hit his team’s last three points of the first half and the first two of the second.

Derrygonnelly were still in the game until the 46th minute when a four-man move ended with Aidan McAlynn hitting a superb goal and there was no way back for the Fermanagh boys who had by this stage abandoned their close passing style of the first half for a hit and hope policy.

Loup simply stifled the life out of the Derrygonnelly forwards with McFlynn and Johnny McBride calling the shots.

The Fermanagh lads made a very good start. After Ryan Jones and Shane McFlynn had exchanged early frees the Derry champions went two up through Declan McVey and Johnny McBride.

Derrygonnelly with Jones and McGurn hogging midfield began to put pressure on the Derry men and by the 16th minute the accurate free taking of Jones had them in a 0-4 to 0-3 lead.

Gavin Mallon levelled for the home team and then McFlynn began to assert his influence with three successive points to put his side 0-7 to 0-5 in front but a well struck free from Paul Ward reduced the leeway to a point at half time.

Loup stepped up a few gears on the resumption with McFlynn once from play and again from a free opening up a five point gap.

Derrygonnelly simply could not get forward and by the 39th minute Declan McVey had opened up a four point lead. It was over as a contest when Aidan McAlynn got on the end of four man move to send the ball past keeper Dermot Feely and raise hopes of repeating their 2003 Ulster success when they came from nowhere to win the title.

Loup manager John Brennan was happy with their win, but felt there had to be an improvement if they are to get past Kilcoo next Sunday.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph