Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

MacLarnon Cup: St Mary’s 0-11 St Paul’s 0-08

St. Mary’s Belfast won their second MacLarnon Cup title when they had three points to spare over a gallant St. Paul’s Bessbrook at the Athletic Grounds in Armagh.

The winners were never behind and while the Armagh lads made them fight all the way for the silverware St. Mary’s were worthy winners in the end despite playing the entire second half with only 14 men.

The winners took the lead with only 23 seconds gone through Brendan Bradley before the same player doubled their advantage.

Matt McKiernan pushed them further in front before St. Paul’s opened their account in the ninth minute through Jemar Hall.

Bradley and Ciaran O’Hanlon traded points before a score from Ronan Finnegan left just the minimum between the two sides.

It was St. Mary’s who dominated the closing stages of the half with points from Patrick McBride, Kevin Quinn and Carl Maxwell to lead 0-7 to 0-3 at the break.

Michael Hynes was sent off for a second yellow card offence.

On the restart Caolan Trainor and Eamon Quinn exchanged points as did Ciaran O’Hanlon and Bradley.

The Armagh lads reduced the deficit to the minimum again with scores from Finnegan and Paul Og Grant.

They missed a few chances and St. Mary’s made them pay with Kevin Quinn grabbing a point before Bradley knocked over a close in free. St. Mary’s finished with 14 players after Daragh McGuinness’ dismissal, but the job was done.

St. Mary’s: J McCrea, C Orchin, T Burns, J McGreevy, P McBride [0-1], C Kerr, M Hynes, E Quinn [0-1], M Jordan, D McGuinness, M Cummings, C Maxwell [0-1], B Bradley [0-5], M McKiernan [0-1], K Quinn [0-2]. Sub: M Lappin for Maxwell

St. Paul’s: C McKeown, P Hughes, A Rooney, J Cosgrove, E Burns, R Finnegan [0-2], D McCabe, D McConville, M Murphy, C McCooey, M Feehan, C O’Hanlon [0-2], C Trainor [0-1], P Og Grant [0-2], J Hall [0-1]. Subs: A Nugent McCooey, P Faloon for Hall, G McCabe for Hughes

Referee: C Brannigan (Down).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph