Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

McBrearty leads charge as scintillating Kilcar put Scotstown to sword

Scotstown 1-6 Kilcar 1-16

By Peter Campbell

It was a display to be proud of from the Donegal champions with Patrick McBrearty, Michael Hegarty, Ryan McHugh and Ciaran McGinley outstanding in a great overall team performance.

Kilcar produced 12 minutes of scintillating footballing in the second quarter, hitting 1-6 without reply to go in 1-10 to 1-3 ahead against the three-in-a-row Monaghan champions.

Patrick McBrearty was on fire hitting seven of those points and they embellished it with a goal from the practice ground, finished by Eoin McHugh.

Apart from conceding a goal after four minutes, it was a perfect opening half for Kilcar. Scotstown couldn't match their running game. Inside three minutes, midfielder Frank Caulfield was shown yellow for stopping Ryan McHugh off the ball. Patrick McBrearty had a point from the free, but Scotstown hit back with Kieran Hughes winning the kick-out and finding Conor McCarthy, who hit the Kilcar net.

Patrick McBrearty had a 'point' awarded by the umpire knocked off by the referee before a Ross McKenna effort was allowed to hop over the bar.

Two Patrick McBrearty points had Kilcar back in the game by the 15th minute before the Hughes brothers combined to set up Shane Carey at the other end.

Patrick McBrearty found the range from the sideline while Conor McCarthy got an easy point at the other end on 18 minutes, but that was to be the home side's final score of the half.

McBrearty converted a free after Ryan McHugh was fouled and brother Stephen had Kilcar level on 21 minutes. A minute later came their goal as Ryan McHugh took a free to McBrearty, who laid off to Eoin McHugh who fired into the net.

Kilcar then cut Scotstown open again. The final pass was cut out but Eoin McHugh had been fouled and McBrearty pointed the free. Patrick had his seventh point before Ryan McHugh closed out the half with two great scores before the half.

Scotstown pulled two points back inside a minute and a half from Conor McCarthy and Ross McKenna but a free from McBrearty and a point from Michael Hegarty had the lead back at seven. Ciaran McGinley added another. Rory Beggan pulled one back from a free to leave it 1-13 to 1-6 entering the final quarter.

Kilcar had a goal chance but Andrew McClean's shot was deflected to safety.

Ryan McHugh had time to add a free while Scotstown launched a few high missiles which were dealt with by Kilcar.

Before the end Scotstown lost Sean Mohan to a black card while Ryan McHugh closed out the scoring from a free.

Kilcar: McGinley; McGinley, McShane, Carr; McHugh (0-5,2f), Hegarty (0-1), Shovlin; McGinley (0-1), McHugh; McClean, McHugh (1-0), C Doherty; Shovlin, McBrearty (0-8,4f), S McBrearty (0-1). Subs: McClean for Doherty 43; Sweeney for McClean 22; Carr for McBrearty 57; McBrearty for McBrearty 62.

Scotstown: Beggan (0-1,f); McPhillips, Carroll, Mohan; Morgan, McArdle, Caulfield; Caulfield, Hughes; Hamill, Carey (0-1), McKenna (0-2); Sherlock, Hughes, McCarthy (1-2). Subs: McCrudden for Hamill 42; Heaphy for McKenna b card 45; McCarville for Carey 59

Referee: Ciaran Branagan (Down).

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

From Belfast Telegraph