| 3.9°C Belfast

Minor progress for Glen and St John’s

Watty Grahams from Glen and St John's Belfast edged through their tests in the Northern Bank Ulster Minor Football Champions' Tournament, at Shaw's Road over the weekend, to keep on course for provincial honours.

The Derry champions, with a powerhouse performance, demolished the hopes of Monaghan titleholders Truagh in a one-sided preliminary round clash on Saturday with the final tally of 4-14 to 0-3 telling the tale of the hour.

By half-time, the Derry champions, who had many inches to spare over their opponents, had shot 1-8 to 0-1 ahead with Conor Convery cracking in the goal in the 22nd minute.

Further goals from Ryan Dougan, immediately after the restart, Conor Convery on 40 minutes and the excellent Emmet Bradley, two minutes from time, polished off Truagh.

Glen will next clash with St Eunan's from Letterkenny in the last of the quarter-finals next Sunday.

It was a much tighter squeeze for St John's who, with an attacking last quarter, edged out Tyrone champions Naomh Mhuire on a 1-9 to 0-8 ticket and book their place against Armagh Harps in the last four on December 18.

St John's are on course for the Ulster Minor double, having already won the hurling title, but the Orchard County team will present a much bigger challenge than the Tyrone side did yesterday. Playing with wind advantage, Naomh Mhuire sharpshooter Darren McCurry sent the Tyrone champions 0-4 to 0-3 ahead after 24 minutes and his side was 0-6 to 0-5 up at half-time.

However, the Killyman-Edendork combination failed to score in the third quarter with St John's taking a one point lead but the closely contested battle was level again, at seven points each, before the winners turned in an attacking last nine minutes.

The clinching score was a well-taken goal by Luke Peden who was sent through by Fergal Morgan in the 55th minute. Conor Johnston got the insurance score right on the hour.


Omagh justified their favourites tag when they had a comfortable 0-15 to 1-5 win over Donaghmore to lift the Tyrone U21 Championship title at Father Hackett Park in Augher.

Donaghmore had the wind at their backs in the first half but Omagh led 0-5 to 0-3 at half-time.

To have any chance of causing an upset Donaghmore needed a good start to the second half but the opposite happened and Omagh pushed on and they now advance to the Ulster U21 Tournament in Creggan were they lost out to Burren in the final two years ago.

Belfast Telegraph