Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Misery for Monaghan and Tyrone as hopes of All-Ireland ended


On target: Dylan Geaney scored the Kingdom’s first point from play as Tyrone’s run came to an end yesterday
On target: Dylan Geaney scored the Kingdom’s first point from play as Tyrone’s run came to an end yesterday

By Kevin Kelly

There was double disappointment for Ulster sides at Bord Na Mona O'Connor Park yesterday afternoon as Tyrone and Monaghan lost out to Kerry and Cork respectively in the All-Ireland Minor quarter-finals.

All-Ireland Minor champions Kerry remain on course for a sixth title in a row after coming from three points down at half-time to beat Tyrone 1-12 to 0-9.

The Red Hands played very well in the first half and were full value for their 0-6 to 0-3 lead, with Kerry keeper Devon Burns also making two outstanding saves.

Luke Donnelly and Jack O'Connor traded early points before Donnelly and Mark Devlin edged Tyrone 0-3 to 0-1 in front.

Donnelly then found the range again before O'Connor landed his second '45' of the contest.

Keeper Burns then denied Conor Cuddy at the expense of a '45' which Devlin converted before Daniel Fullerton pointed from play.

Kerry had the final say of the half in injury-time from Dylan Geaney, their first from play.

O'Connor and Devlin swapped early second-half points before Kerry seized control with 1-4 without reply as Tyrone failed to register a score for 18 minutes.

O'Connor and Emmet O'Shea had points before wing-half-back Eoghan O'Sullivan sent over the equaliser in the 46th minute.

Sixty seconds later, Joseph Lineham and Gearoid Hassett combined for O'Shea to fire to the net and there was no way back for the Red Hands.

Moments later, things got worse for Tyrone when full-back Micheal McCann was straight red-carded and midfielder Michael McGleenan was black-carded within 30 seconds of each other.

O'Connor, O'Shea and Geaney tagged on points before Devlin ended Tyrone's barren spell from a '45'.

Substitute Shea Browne then got his name on the scoresheet for Tyrone but it was Kerry who closed the game out with points from Geaney and Ryan O'Grady.

The second game was nip and tuck for most of the first half between Ulster champions Monaghan and Munster runners-up Cork.

Six times in the first half Cork got their noses in front with points from Patrick Campbell, Michael O'Neill and Darragh Cashman but each time Monaghan levelled thanks to scores from Diarmuid Marron, Darragh Dempsey and Jason Irwin.

The game, though, turned on its head in the closing stages of the first half when O'Neill found the net in the 27th minute and in the next attack centre-half-forward Conor Corbett also goaled to leave it 2-8 to 0-8 at the break.

Cork increased their lead on the restart before Monaghan were thrown a lifeline when Liam McDonald scored a penalty.

Cork points from Patrick Campbell and Ryan O'Donovan helped keep their opponents at arm's length, however, and while McDonald scored another penalty an injury-time Campbell struck another goal to leave the final score 3-19 to 2-10.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph