Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Omagh St Enda's 1-19 Armagh Harps 3-9

Omagh St Enda's survived a two-goal penalty blast, at St Paul's Park in Belfast yesterday, to reach the semi-finals of the Northern Bank Ulster Club Minor Football championship.

The Tyrone boys ousted Armagh Harps on a 1-19 to 3-9 scoreline after extra-time to qualify for a crack at Dungiven on St Stephen’s Day.

This was the third quarter-final in the tournament that went to overtime and the standard of play from both teams was of the highest calibre.

Omagh won because of their greater scoring threat with the half-forward line of Damien McGloin, Conan Grugan and Ronan O'Neill cutting lanes through the opposing defence.

It was McGloin who really wrapped up the victory with a goal right on the final blow of extra-time when only a point separated the sides after Armagh had powered back with two late points.

Centre-back Stephen Mullan, centre-forward Grugan and No.12 Ronan O'Neill were in superb form during the first-half as the teams were level three times.

However, four points to just one in reply left Omagh ahead by 0-8 to 0-5 at the interval.

Corner-back Conor White rocketed home Armagh's first penalty goal in the 34th minute (0-9 to 1-5) but four unanswered points for the winners opened a telling gap after 49 minutes.

A minute later, 16-year-old White raised the net again from the penalty spot and five minutes later a third Armagh goal by Padráig Rafferty put the Harps 3-6 to 0-13 ahead.

Points by Barry Tierney and Grugan (free) levelled the battle again at 0-15 to 3-6 to send the tussle into 20 minutes overtime.

Omagh hit four points against just one during the first period before points by Rafferty (free) and Patrick McCoy were followed by McGloin's clinching goal.

OMAGH St ENDA’S: R Clarke; D Teague, D Bradley, Ryan McBride; K Brannigan, S Mullan, C Canavan; B Tierney (0-3), T Gallagher (0-1); D McGloin (1-0), C Grugan (0-4, 0-2 frees), R O'Neill (0-2, 0-3 frees); R Bradley, C Clarke (0-4), C Gallagher. Subs: Rory McBride for Canavan (50), S McElduff for McBride (70).

ARMAGH HARPS: J Golicki; C White (2-0, both penalties), M McCoy, S Donnelly; C Stevenson (0-1), J Vernon, E Riley; D McKenna (0-1, sideline), B O'Hanlon; S McCoy (0-1), K Loughran, E Fields; P Rafferty (1-4, 0-3 frees), J Wilson, P McCoy (0-2). Subs: D Donnelly for Fields (half-time), M McKenna for White (60), White for McKenna (61).

Referee: A Trainor (Antrim).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph