Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

O'Rourke's Louth prevail over Laois in Leinster clash

Aidan O'Rourke won the all-Armagh battle of managerial wits when his Louth side overcame Laois in the Leinster championship yesterday.

O'Rourke had all the tactical answers to all the permutations that his 2002 All-Ireland winning colleague Justin McNulty threw up in an exciting contest.

O'Rourke's championship debut along the sidelines for the Wee County couldn't have gone any smoother as his team held the upper hand right from the throw-in and never relinquished it.

Shane Lennon's first half goal boosted wind-assisted Louth into a nine-point lead at the midway point and the second half followed a similar pattern with McNulty's charges unable to wrestle control of proceedings from the Wee County's grip.

Brian White scored nine points for the winners while Lennon ended up with 1-4.

Meanwhile, London created a major shock when they beat Sligo by 0-15 to 1-11 to record their first win for many years in the Connacht championship.

Despite missing a first half penalty and having a man sent off in the second half, Paul Coggins' charges held on for a memorable, and fully deserving, one point win.

Lorcan Mulvey's first half goal proved to be the difference between the sides at the final whistle and incredibly London are now just 70 minutes away from the Connacht SFC final.

Mark Gottsche proved a constant thorn in the side of the Sligo defence and Kevin Walsh's side must enter the qualifiers under a cloud of ignominy.

Cork had no difficulty beating Limerick by 3-17 to 0-8 in the Munster championship with their goals coming from John O'Rourke, Brian Hurley and Pearse O'Neill.

Conor Counihan's side, who will now meet Clare, were always in control and had the match wrapped up by half-time when they led by 3-4 to 0-3.

Also in Munster, Kerry were far too strong for Tipperary and won by 2-19 to 0-8 in another one-sided contest that did little for the image of the competition.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph