Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Red hot Currie leads Dublin's charge into the last four

Dublin 2-20 Antrim 0-11

By Staff Reporter

Antrim were well beaten by Dublin in Saturday's All-Ireland Minor Hurling quarter-final in Newry, thanks largely to a devastating 2-13 haul from Sean Currie.

The full-forward posted all but seven of his side's 2-20 total and the Saffrons simply couldn't get to grips with the Na Fianna man and Dublin were good value for their 15-point win.

Antrim held their own in a cagey opening quarter when both sides struggled on a slippery surface at the Marshes.

The opening score arrived when Deaghlan Smith was fouled in front of the posts and Tiarnan Murphy opted to take the point rather than test Dublin goalkeeper Conor O'Donoghue early on.

Currie replied instantly before serving notice of his intent when slicing through the Antrim defence and forcing a great save from goalkeeper Paul McMullan.

A point from Ben Coffey gave Dublin the lead on 10 minutes and they never looked back.

Liam Murphy blasted over when he had a great chance of a goal as the Dubs opened up a four-point lead after 22 minutes.

Seaan Elliott hit a fine score in reply but Antrim also passed up chances that really needed to go over if they were to have a chance of upsetting the odds.

Elliott and Currie exchanged points at the end of the half with Dublin leading 0-10 to 0-3.

Antrim rallied after the break and visibly upped their intensity with Conor Boyd, Niall McCormack and substitute Anto McGrath competing for breaks.

Dublin's tackling became ragged and Elliott and Murphy (two) converted frees before McGrath hit a fine point from play.

For all their good work, the Ulster champions couldn't get within five points of Dublin and the game was sealed when Currie punished a defensive error.

A long delivery from 'keeper O'Donoghue was played in on top of the Antrim full-back line, but Scott Walsh rose highest to stake his claim for possession.

Before he could take full of the sliotar, it slipped from his grasp and Currie was on hand to finish with aplomb.

From then on, it was shooting practice for the Dubs and it was difficult not to admire some of the audacity of Currie's scores.

In one instance, he nonchalantly tapped the sliotar on his hurl three times before drilling his shot between the posts.

Currie landed his side's second goal when he again demonstrated his poacher's instinct after securing possession after substitute Sean Lambe had his shot blocked down by Walsh. Currie then fired past McMullan to complete a facile win for his side.

Dublin: O'Donoghue; Dunphy, McHugh, K Burke; O'Neill, Walsh, Gannon; Keogh, Coffey 0-1; Grogan 0-2, Allen 0-2, O'Donnell; Murphy 0-1, Currie 2-13 (0-4fs), L McDwyer. Subs: Lambe for McDwyer (49 mins), Derwin 0-1 for Grogan (51 mins), Smith for Dunphy (55 mins), Byrne for Murphy (55 mins), Rooney for O'Donoghue (67 mins).

Antrim: McMullan; McAuley, Walsh, Lennon; Magill, Boyd, McGarry; McGreevy, McHugh; McQuillan, Scullion, McCormack; Murphy 0-4 (0-4fs), Smith (0-1), Elliott 0-5 (0-3fs). Subs: McGrath 0-1 for Scullion (7 mins), McMenamin for McGrath (52 mins), McCurry for Lennon (57 mins), Smith for McAuley (57 mins). Magee-Baker for Boyd (61mins).

Referee: J Keane (Galway).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph