Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Roslea Shamrocks progress

An excellent second-half showing from Roslea Shamrocks saw them seal their place in the final of the Quinn Insurance Fermanagh SFC under lights at Brewster Park on Saturday night.

Peter McGinnity’s side went in at the break trailing by two points, but they took a grip on proceedings right from the outset in the second period, hitting 1-05 without reply to put the game beyond Newtownbutler, who despite scoring a goal deep into injury time were still three points adrift at the finish.

It was Newtown though who played the more composed football in the first-half as they gained an early control in the battle for possession in the middle third.

Roslea really struggled during the first-half to get any sort of quality ball into their full forward line and would have been happy just to have been two points behind at the break with Newtown kicking seven wides in the first period.

The sides shared the opening four points of the game with Seamus Quigley banging over two frees for Roslea while Ryan Carson and James Connolly registered for Newtown.

Connolly posed plenty of problems for the Roslea backline in the first-half and he clipped over another two points from play to put Newtown into a 0-04 to 0-02 lead.

Ruairi McGuinness lobbed over Roslea’s first point from play, but Newtown half back James Maguire had the final say of the half to leave it 0-05 to 0-03 at the interval.

Roslea though were a much improved side after the half-time team talk and they signalled their intent right from the throw in as James Sherry collected possession and drove forward before setting up Niall Cosgrove for a point.

Two fine points from Quigley brothers, Seamus and Sean, followed soon after for Roslea as they moved into the lead, and when Peter Lynch and Seamus Quigley tagged on further scores it put Roslea, who were now dominant around the middle, into a 0-08 to 0-05 lead.

The decisive score then arrived ten minutes from time as Niall Cosgrove drove to the net although Roslea were then reduced to fourteen men after Ruairi McGuiness picked up a second booking.

Newtown knocked over their first score of the half in the 54th minute through a Colum Monahan free and although they registered a late goal from Kevin Connolly it wasn’t enough to stop Roslea progressing to the final.

In Sunday’s second semi-final Derrygonnelly easily accounted for a disappointing Devenish side, 2-09 to 0-05.

Derrygonnelly always looked the likelier side and the game was basically over at half-time after goals from Paul Ward and Aidan Gallagher helped the Harps into a 2-06 to 0-04 lead.

Devenish could find no way through Derrygonelly’s stubborn defence after the break and the Harps set up a final showdown with Roslea.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph