Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Slaughtneil cruise as Lisbellaw trio see red

Lisbellaw 0 - 7 Slaughtneil 4 - 18

There is no substitute for quality as Fermanagh champions Lisbellaw found out to their cost, when losing out to a well-drilled Slaughtneil side in a one-sided Ulster semi final at Dungannon.

The Erne men, competing in their first ever senior provincial semi final, were outclassed all over the field with Sean Cassidy, Karl McKaigue and Cormac McKenna commanding figures in the winners defence, as the Emmett's restricted Lisbellaw to three points from play.

Chrissy McKaigue was deployed as a sweeper and, the move worked a treat and with Cormac O'Doherty (a late replacement for Frankie Kelly) driving relentlessly forward from midfield, their attack reaped the rewards in stunning fashion. Oisin O'Doherty and Se McGuigan caused immense problems with their pace, vision and ball winning ability giving them a decisive edge.

Lisbellaw battled gamely and had solid displays from the likes of Andrew Breslin, Ryan Bogue and Captain Sean Corrigan, but their fortunes were illustrated as they ended the game with only 12 players on the field as Colm Rice and Daniel Teague (second yellows) incurred the wraith of referee Garrett Duffy alongside Matthew Teague (straight red) following separate incidents.

Slaughtneil set the tempo from the second minute, when Oisin O'Doherty scrambled home a goal.

The energy of Doherty and Se McGuigan caused Lisbellaw endless problems with Gareth O'Kane driving over successive frees for a 1-3 to 0-1 cushion.

Sean Corrigan hit the Lisbellaw point and the young forward was to be the Erne side's only source of scores in the entire half. He posted all five scores, while Rodgers hammered home a superb goal on 13 minutes to underline the enormity of the challenge facing the Erne men.

It was 2-10 to 0-5 at the short whistle and when Lisbellaw centre back Matthew Teague was red carded for a rash pull on livewire O'Doherty three minutes into the second half, it was game over.

With numerical advantage, Slaughtneil were content to soak up the pressure.

Rodgers second goal opened out a 3-11 to 0-5 advantage and, while Ryan Bogue posted two stunning scores for the underdogs on 36 and 48 minutes that was to be their lot.

Targetman Rodgers notched his hat trick after he applied pressure on keeper McPhillips and the final score went to sub Oran O'Kane as Slaughtneil advanced to what is going to be a much sterner assignment in two weeks time.

Slaughtneil: E McGuigan, P Kearney, S Cassidy, C Kearney, K McKaigue, C McKenna, J Mulholland, C O'Doherty, G Bradley, G O'Kane, D Kearney, C McKaigue, O O'Doherty, B Rodgers, S McGuigan. Subs - O O'Kane for O O'Doherty, F Kelly for C Kearney, M Doherty for P Kearney, M Kearney for C O'Doherty M Logue for C McKaigue.

Scorers: B Rodgers 3-0, G O'Kane 0-6, O O'Doherty 1-1, C McKaigue 0-3, C O'Doherty 0-3, S McGuigan 0-2, G Bradley 0-1, D Kearney 0-1, O O'Kane 0-1

Lisbellaw: D McPhillips, C Rice, N Carson, D Teague, A Breslin, M Teague, F Bannon, M Slevin, R Bogue, C McGarry, K Kehoe, JP McGarry, C Corrigan, C McTeague, S Corrigan. Subs: B Duffy for C McGarry, D McGarry for C McTeague

Scorers: S Corrigan 0-5, R Bogue 0-2.

Referee: G Duffy (Antrim).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph