Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Tipperary show no mercy in ruthless demolition

Waterford 0-19 Tipperary 7-19

By Conor Mooney

All-Ireland champions Tipperary were in seventh Heaven as they handed out as severe a beating as has ever been witnessed in a Munster championship decider in a one sided affair against Waterford yesterday afternoon.

Declan Ryan's men showed all their class and flair as they blew the Waterford lads off the pitch and sent them home with many questions to be answered ahead of the All-Ireland quarter finals.

Tipperary obliterated Waterford in the first half with an awesome display of attacking power. They shot an incredible 5-8 from play in the half including four goals in five minutes before the break to lead by an incredible 5-10 to 0-8 at the break.

It was 2010 Hurler of the Year Lar Corbett who led the rout with 3-3 to his name by the half way

mark. Corbett, playing a lone role in the full forward line for much of the half, had Tipp's opening goal in the fourth minute and he went on to bag two more in the 33rd and 37th minutes to go along with two more Premier goals from captain Eoin Kelly and centre forward Seamus Callanan.

Waterford were left punch drunk and even the starting of Michael ‘Brick' Walsh at full back didn't help their cause.

Davy Fitzgerald's men have had difficulties in the full back line all season long and they continued throughout the first half with the manager left scratching his head on the sideline.

Waterford were fighting for pride in the second half — because the painful truth for them is that the Munster Senior Hurling Final for 2011 was decided after a mere 35 minutes.

Tipperary's 39th provincial title was secured with goals from Corbett again in the 31st minute and Eoin Kelly in the 19th —Waterford were disjointed, dejected and defeated. The champions even had the luxury of replacing goalkeeper Brendan Cummins, who equalled the record of the great Christy Ring with 65 championship appearances.

Tipperary: B Cummins, P Stapleton, P Curran, M Cahill, J O'Keeffe, C O'Mahony, Padraic Maher, G Ryan 0-1, S McGrath, S Callanan 1-0, N McGrath 0-2, Patrick Maher, E Kelly 2-6, J O'Brien 0-3, L Corbett 4-4. Subs: P Burke 0-2 for Callanan; B Dunne for G Ryan; S Bourke 0-1 for N McGrath; B Maher for Padraic Maher; D Gleeson for B Cummins.

Waterford: C Hennessy, D Fives, J Maher, N Connors, T Browne 0-1, M Walsh, K Moran, R Foley, S Molumphy 0-1, E McGrath, S O'Sullivan 0-1, P Mahony 0-13, J Mullane 0-1, S Walsh 0-1, B O'Sullivan. Subs: J Nagle for J Maher; D O'Sullivan for R Foley; E Kelly for B O'Sullivan; L Lawlor for D Fives; M Shanahan 0-1 for E McGrath.

Referee: B Gavin (Offaly).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph