| 7.3°C Belfast

Truagh Gaels rally to seal title joy

Truagh Gaels are All-Ireland intermediate club football champions after overcoming a poor start to beat Mayo side Kiltane by seven points, 2-21 to 2-13, at Croke Park yesterday.

The Monaghan men produced a late flurry of scores to shake off the Connacht champions, who led early on thanks to goals from Darragh Carey (penalty) and Mikey Sweeney. However, led by Daniel McKenna, Truagh clawed their way back into the game.

McKenna bagged a goal on 13 minutes to settle Monaghan nerves and shortly after Mark Counihan also raised a green flag to help the Ulster side to a 2-10 to 2-5 half-time lead.

It was still anybody's game approaching the final 10 minutes, but a late charge saw Pauric Traenor lift the cup for Truagh.

It was not to be for Down camogie champions Liatroim Fontenoys in the All-Ireland intermediate club semi-final against Waterford side Lismore.

The Ulster girls trailed by 0-7 to 0-2 at the break in Crettyard, Co Laois, but fought their way back to within a point with Aimee McAleenan (1-2), Grainne Kelly (1-0) and Karen McMullan (0-1) all on target, however Lismore held on for a 0-11 to 2-3 victory.

In the Interprovincial hurling semi-final there was more Ulster disappointment when Gary O'Kane's side fell by 8-18 to 1-21 to Leinster at Trim. Leinster led throughout and they will now face Connacht in the decider.

In the Bank of Ireland Ulster under-21 club football tournament at Creggan, St Peter's, Warrenpoint faced Cavan amalgamation side Assan Gaels in the second quarter-final.

After an even opening quarter, Peter Gilchreest found the net to put Gaels into a one-point lead, but the Down men then went into overdrive.

Donagh McAleenan, Caolan McLaughlin and Aaron Magee helped St Paters to a 0-12 to 1-3 half-time lead, but with Evan Doughty on top form, Assan Gaels reduced the gap to the minimum with seven minutes on the clock.

That man scored a late equaliser to force extra time on a 0-14 to 1-11 scoreline. Warrenpoint regrouped to seal a 0-23 to 2-12 win.

Belfast Telegraph