Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Tyrone 0-10 Cavan 1-10

Cavan retained their Ulster U21 title at Brewster Park in Enniskillen when they were worthy three-point winners over Tyrone in a final played in front of a crowd of almost 6,000.

Cavan failed to score from play in the first half but they put that right after the break with a fine attacking display.

It was holders Cavan who led 1-4 to 0-5 at the break after getting a dream start to the game. Chris Conroy was fouled for a first minute penalty and half back Darragh Sexton dispatched it past keeper Darragh McAnenly.

Tyrone, though, regrouped and by the fourth minute had reduced the deficit to the minimum thanks to frees from Richard Donnelly and Darren McCurry.

The Red Hands then missed a couple of chances to draw level before full forward Kevin Tierney converted a Cavan free after 12 minutes.

Stefan Tierney scored the first point of the game from play before midfielder Harry Og Conlon hit a superb equaliser in the 16th minute, despite being under pressure. Tyrone were on top at this stage but they failed to build on that momentum, adding only one more first half score.

Cavan took a lead they were never to lose when Tierney converted another free in the 21st minute and the same player then converted another well taken placed ball. Richard Donnelly knocked over a long range Tyrone free but Cavan had the final say of the first half through a Jack Brady

close-in free. Within a minute of the restart Tyrone had reduced the deficit to one-point again thanks to a Darren McCurry free but that was as close as they were to get.

Tierney was proving unerring from placed kicks and he knocked over another great score before they scored their first point from play on the night after 37 minutes with a fine effort from Joe Dillon, after a patient build up. Barry Tierney joined the attack to get a much needed Tyrone point but within four minutes Cavan were virtually out of sight after Tierney and Raymond Lynch both registered. Tyrone had the final scores through Niall Sludden and Tommy Canavan but that early penalty proved to be the difference.

Tyrone: D McAnenly, B Tierney [0-1], D McNally, HP McGeary, N Sludden [0-1], S Warnock, T McCann, H Conlon [0-1], C Clarke, S Tierney [0-1], T Canavan [0-1], R Donnelly [0-2], D McCurry [0-3], C McAliskey, C Daly. Subs – P Mallon for McCann, S McGuigan for Warnock, C Grugan for Conlon, P McNulty for Donnelly, J McCullagh for Daly

Cavan: C Gilsenan, R Lynch [0-1], K Brady, J McLoughlin, D Sexton [1-0], C Moynagh, M Brady, P Leddy, K Clarke, J Dillon [0-1], C Conroy, F Flanagan, J Brady [0-3], K Tierney [0-5], N O’Donnell. Subs – P King for K Brady, B Reilly for Dillon, S Nolan for Conroy, P O’Hara for B Reilly

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry).

  • Val Andrews' future as senior Cavan football manager was in doubt amid reports of dissatisfaction among the squad following a disappointing league where they were lucky to escape relegation to Division 4.

Cavan won only two of seven games — and if Offaly had beaten already-relegated Tipperary last Sunday, Cavan would have been demoted. That close call at the end of a campaign where Cavan's only wins were against Sligo and Tipp led to unease among the squad, who sought a meeting with senior county board officials.

Appointing new management is believed to be among the options the players want considered.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph