Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Tyrone 2-11 Westmeath 0-08

Tyrone made it four wins from four in Division Two of the Allianz National league when they had too much power and knowhow for an outgunned Westmeath side at Healy Park on Saturday night.

In the end nine points separated the two sides but it should have been a lot more as the home side kicked an alarmingly 14 wides and manager Mickey Harte acknowledged that they will have to be more ruthless in front of goal.

“I think for the number of chances that we created, we weren’t converting enough of them,” said Harte.

“You would need to be more efficient around the goals. Even in the first half we were disappointed with the return we had given the amount of possession we had.

“Then we got a goal at the start of the second half which really should have put us in the ascendancy but we let them back in.

“When you are in the ascendancy like that you should be making better use of it.”

Tyrone led 1-6 to 0-2 at the break and when Martin Penrose cracked home their second goal seconds after the restart it put the issue beyond any doubt.

While the home side missed a number of chances there were certainly aspects that would have pleased manager Harte most notably the display of Kyle Coney who landed four superb points from play.

Westmeath are struggling in Division Two and it showed as apart from a brief spell in the second half they were outplayed throughout and a miserable night was completed for them when they had substitute Mark Gorman sent off a minute into injury time at the end of the game for a second yellow card offence.

Owen Mulligan fired over Tyrone’s first score of the game after only 22 seconds and by the 26th minute they were half-a-dozen points to the good with Coney contributing three gems and defender Damian McCaul also on target.

Substitute Denis Glennon finally opened Westmeath’s account but in the 32nd minute Paddy McNiece was hauled down for a penalty as he was about to shoot. Harte made no mistake with the resulting spot kick to leave them well in control.

The second half was only 25 seconds old when McNiece and Mark Donnelly combined to send Penrose through to fire past Gary Connaughton to leave Tyrone firmly in the driving seat. Mulligan and Penrose then both tagged on points from frees as Tyrone established a 12 point lead.

Westmeath then enjoyed their best spell of the game with Denis Glennon scoring twice and Ger Egan, Ronan Foley and David Glennon also on target with Tyrone responding from Coney.

Substitutes Sean Cavanagh and Johnny Lafferty both scored for Tyrone either side of a Kieran Martin effort for Westmeath after Pascal McConnell had denied Gorman with a fine save.

Moments later though Gorman was sent off as Tyrone came out on top with plenty to spare.

Tyrone: P McConnell, A McCrory, Justin McMahon, PJ Quinn, C McCarron, P Harte [1-0], D McCaul [0-1], N McKenna, Joe McMahon, R McNabb, Mark Donnelly, P McNiece, K Coney [0-4], M Penrose [1-2], O Mulligan [0-2]. Subs: C Cavanagh for Joe McMahon, C Gormley for McCaul, S Cavanagh [0-1] for Penrose, J Lafferty [0-1] for Mulligan, S McNulty for Quinn.

Westmeath: G Connaughton M Curley, K Gavin, K Maguire, D McDermott, M Ennis, A Finnan, J Heslin [0-1], P Bannon, K Martin [0-1], G Egan [0-1], P Sheridan, A Giles, David Glennon [0-1], P Sharry. Subs: R Foley [0-1] for Sheridan, Denis Glennon [0-3] for Giles, B Moran for Maguire, M Gorman for Egan, J Egan for Ennis

Red card: M Gorman

Referee: J Curley (Meath).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph