Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Tyrone burned yet again

Galway 1-15 Tyrone 0-14

Ulster champions Tyrone are in deep relegation trouble after losing out to fellow strugglers Galway in Tuam yesterday afternoon.

The Red Hands failed to build on their win over Cork the previous weekend and a disappointing afternoon concluded for the visitors when they had to finish the contest with fourteen men after Justin McMahon picked up an injury with their five substitutions having been made.

It was Galway who led 1-7 to 0-6 at the break and they were full value for that advantage despite playing against the wind. On too many occasions the Ulster champions’ defence was torn apart and indeed the hosts could have got in for another goal into the bargain.

With both teams in dire need of the points it was the visitors who started brightly with Martin Penrose putting them in front after four minutes from a 42 metre free after Tommy McGuigan was fouled.

The visitors missed a couple of chances as well and in the sixth minute they were punished when Galway struck for their goal.

Joe Bergin and defender David Reilly were involved in the build up with the latter fisting the ball for Matthew Clancy to finish to the net past keeper John Devine. Bergin was causing the Tyrone defence a lot of problems and moments later he was involved in a move that ended with Eoin Concannon fisting a point.

McGuigan and Jason McAnulla had Tyrone wides before a free from Nicky Joyce picked out centre half back Diarmuid Blake who stormed forward to put the Westerners further in front.

Tyrone responded with midfielder Colm Cavanagh driving through for a good point with his weaker left foot but by the end of the opening quarter Galway were four in front again after Clancy hit the target.

Tyrone though were showing signs that they were starting to come into the game with centre half forward Colm McCullagh landing a good effort from distance before Penrose took a pass from Raymond Mulgrew to blast over when a goal could well have been on the cards.

Tyrone made three changes at the break with Sean Cavanagh, Ryan Mellon and Cathal McCarron all entering the fray but it was Galway who picked up were they had left off with Eoin Concannon, Joyce and Clancy all hitting points in the opening four minutes.

Tyrone were in big trouble as they now trailed by seven points but they then enjoyed their best spell of the game to get right back into contention. Four points from the accurate Penrose coupled with a fine strike from Sean Cavanagh left the score line 1-10 to 0-11 going into the final quarter.

A Concannon free steadied the ship for the home side before half forward Bergin landed a fine effort from out the field. Tyrone substitutes Peter Harte and Ryan Mellon combined for the latter to point and when midfielder Aidan Cassidy charged through to split the posts it was still anybody’s game with eight minutes left to play.

Referee Marty Duffy wasn’t endearing himself to Tyrone as he made a number of strange decisions throughout. Galway though were still the better team with Bergin curling over a fine point to put them four in front again.

Gary Sice and McGuigan traded late points but it wasn’t Tyrone’s day and with Kerry and Dublin their remaining two games they certainly have their work cut out if they are to avoid the drop to division two.

Galway: Connolly, Reilly, Hanley, Burke, Meehan, Blake [0-1], O’Donnell, Conroy [0-1], Coleman, Sice [0-2], Walsh, Bergin [0-2], Concannon [0-4], Joyce [0-1], Clancy [1-3]. Subs: K Fitzgerald (for Hanley), Cummings (for Walsh), Bane 0-1 (for Meehan), O’Neill (for Burke), Dunleavy (for Conroy).

Tyrone: Devine, Swift, Justin McMahon, Gourley, Harte, Gormley, McMenamin, Cassidy [0-1], Cavanagh [0-1], Joe McMahon, McCullagh [0-1], Mulgrew, McGuigan [0-1], Penrose [0-8], McAnulla. Subs: Mellon [0-1] (for Harte), McCarron (for Gourley), Cavanagh 0-1 (for Mulgrew), O’Neill (for Swift), Harte (for McAnulla).

Referee: M Duffy (Sligo).

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph