Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Tyrone

Mickey Harte delighted as Tyrone leave pain of Kerry defeat behind

Tyrone 2-23 Westmeath 1-12: Tyrone picked up their third win in Division One of the Allianz National league when they recovered from their setback in Kerry to comfortably see off the challenge of bottom of the table Westmeath at Healy Park.

It was a game that the Red Hands simply had to win after suffering a heavy defeat in Kerry. Manager Mickey Harte was happy to get back on track.

"It was so different to last week when we missed three chances after going in front at the start of the second half and it goes to show you that there is a thin line between success and failure," said Harte.

"In the first half we weren't as good as we ought to have been as we didn't put away our chances. It was vital that we began the second half well and once we got those early scores to build up a lead we never looked back.

"Even when they got their goal we answered it so quickly with two points and I felt that was the winning of the match for us."

Denis Glennon opened the scoring for the visitors in the third minute. Kyle Coney, Sean Cavanagh, Ciaran McGinley [3] and Connor McAliskey all had points as the hosts eased three in front but the Leinster men responded through Glennon, Ger Egan and Callum McCormack to only trail 0-10 to 0-9 at the interval.

The second half was only 25 seconds old when full forward Mark Donnelly split the posts for Tyrone and that set the scene for victory, Niall Morgan, Shay McGuigan and McAliskey all posting points within a five minute spell.

Glennon got the visitors' first score of the second half but Tyrone moved seven clear with the highlight being a mammoth Morgan free from all of 60 metres out.

In the 49th minute Westmeath substitute Ray Connellan smashed an unstoppable shot into the net. Tyrone though didn't panic and within three minutes they had wiped that score out thanks to efforts from Donnelly, Sean Cavanagh and McAliskey.

In the 56th minute it was game over when Tyrone substitute Ronan O'Neill found the net. Connellan had a Westmeath point but with two minutes to go, Cavanagh put the icing on the cake with his side's second goal.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-3, 3f); A McCrory, R McNamee, R McKenna; C Clarke, Mattie Donnelly, P Harte; C Cavanagh (0-1) S Cavanagh (1-2); C McGinley (0-4), S McGuigan (0-1), C Grugan (0-1); K Coney (0-3, 1f), Mark Donnelly (0-2), C McAliskey (0-5,2f). Subs: D McBride (0-1) for McNamee (5), R O'Neill (1-0) for Grugan (h/t), PJ Lavery for McGinley (62), K Gallagher for Mark Donnelly (62), P Hughes for McGuigan (62), D Carlin for Mattie Donnelly (66).

Westmeath: D Quinn, S Gilmore, K Gavin, K Maguire, J Dolan, J Gilligan, J Gonoud, D Duffy, P Sharry, D McCormack, G Egan (0-2, 2f), K Martin (0-1), C McCormack (0-1), D Dolan (0-2), D Glennon (0-5). Subs: R Connellan (1-1) for D McCormack (h/t), D Dolan for Gilligan (47), A Giles for Martin (50), J Egan for C McCormack (54).

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph