Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA Tyrone

Moy dig deep to grab final chance

By Kevin Kelly

Moy are through to the semi-finals of the Tyrone senior championship after edging past Trillick in a hard-fought encounter at Plunkett Park, Pomeroy.

It was a keenly contested clash from start to finish with the Sky Blues deserving their victory to set up a semi-final clash with Carrickmore at the same venue next weekend.

The winners effectively took a grip of this game in the opening quarter as they raced into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead despite playing against the wind.

County star Sean Cavanagh hit a wonderful point in the opening attack of the game and Karol McQuade registered as well before towering full forward Paul Rouse palmed in a goal. Trillick were in disarray but they rallied with scores from Mattie Donnelly, Philip McGrade and substitute Daire Gallagher, although Cavanagh had the final say of the opening period for a 1-5 to 0-5 interval advantage.

The second half was only two minutes old when former County minor and MacRory Cup winning captain Rory Brennan picked up a serious neck injury and play was held up for forty minutes before he was taken to hospital by ambulance. When played resumed Cavanagh converted two brilliant frees from beyond the 45 metre line while Rouse pointed from play. Trillick had it all to do but County minor Daire Gallagher did his best to haul them back into contention as he took his personal haul to five points.

Cavanagh though matched that total for the winners with his former Tyrone team-mate Ryan Mellon also on target.

Clonoe secured a 12 point victory over a shell shocked Eglish side at Dungannon yesterday evening.

County star Connor Mc Aliskey and former county minor Danny Mc Nulty proved themselves to be the game's top marksmen with 1-12 between them.

McNulty found the net three minutes before the break. Such was their first half dominance that Clonoe had established a 1-9 to 0-4 lead by the time the whistle blew to end the first half.

The second period saw no relief for Eglish as Connor Mc Aliskey scored two early points. Scores from Gregory Jordan and Emmett Mc Kenna signalled a mini revival for the St Patricks but that was as good as it got. Clonoe landed four unanswered points between the 46th and 51st minutes to end the game as a contest.

The winners maintained their dominance right to the final whistle winning 1-17 to 0-12.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph