Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Tyrone's triumph secures place in last four

Kildare 0-10 Tyrone 1-13

By Kevin Kelly

Tyrone are through to the semi- finals of the Allianz National league Division One after an accomplished display saw them emerge seven point winners over Kildare in Newbridge yesterday.

The visitors were full value for their win and manager Mickey Harte was pleased with the fact that his charges will get at least one more competitive outing before their Ulster championship opener with Donegal.

"We are happy with the outcome if not the overall performance," said Harte.

"There were parts of the game were we played well but at times Kildare got on top but they were wayward with their shooting, particularly at the start of the second half. I think that cost them ultimately at the end of the game.

"We got a couple of crucial scores early in the second and they kept us well ahead although I would be disappointed that we took the foot of the pedal a little.

"We are into the semi-finals now and that is very pleasing as it will give us one more game ahead of our championship opener with Donegal which is crucial."

Tyrone had the wind at their backs in the first half and they made it count as they established a 1-8 to 0-3 interval lead.

Captain Stephen O'Neill opened the scoring with a terrific free from out near the right touchline before they struck for an eighth minute goal.

It was all the work of Mark Donnelly who burst through the Kildare defence and when his first shot was saved by keeper Mark Donnellan he first-timed the rebound to the net. Sean Johnston opened Kildare's account from a close in free but it was the visitors who continued to dominate.

Conor McAliskey and keeper Niall Morgan both converted frees before O'Neill turned sharply to split the posts with a quality score.

Morgan then knocked over a fine free before Ronan Sweeney responded for the home side. With the last kick of the first half O'Neill scored the point of the game with an outstanding effort with the outside of the boot from distance from out on the right wing.

Kildare had chances at the start of the second half but they failed to take them on a day when they hit 15 wides as well as hitting eight short into the grateful arms of keeper Morgan. Harte converted a Tyrone free before Paddy McNeice kicked a wonderful point.

Morgan then knocked over his third point as Tyrone moved 10 clear but then Kildare staged a mini-revival.

Substitute Paul Cribben contributed three points while Eoghan O'Flaherty, Sean Johnston and Eamon Callaghan scored as well but Tyrone were always able to keep them at arms length.

A surging run from Harte finished with him setting up Conor McAliskey for a well taken point before substitute Aidan Cassidy took a good score from an acute angle. Cribben and Sean Hurl had the final two scores of the game for Kieran McGeeney's side but it was a case of too little to late.

This was Tyrone's fourth win in a row away from home in the league and they will want to end their campaign in style when Kerry visit Omagh in two week's time.

Kildare: M Donnellan, O Lyons, M Foley, H McGrillen, E Bolton, P Kelly, E Doyle, H Lynch, P O'Neill, E Callaghan (0-1), E O'Flaherty (0-1), M O'Flaherty, S Johnston (0-2), A Smith (0-1), R Sweeney (0-1). Subs – S Hurl (0-1) for Lynch, T O'Connor for Sweeney, P Cribben (0-3) for M O'Flaherty, R Kelly for Johnston

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-3), A McCrory, C Clarke, C McCarron, R McKenna (0-1), Joe McMahon, R McNamee, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, P McNeice (0-1), P Harte (0-2), Mattie Donnelly, C McAliskey (0-2), S O'Neill (0-3), Mark Donnelly (1-0). Subs – P Kane for Mattie Donnelly, D McBride for Clarke, M Penrose for Mark Donnelly.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph