Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Ulster Senior Club quarter-final: Battling Burren on track for shot at title glory

Burren 1-5 Roslea 2-15: Burren took a step closer to a coveted Ulster Club football title when they eased past Fermanagh champions Roslea in yesterday’s quarter-final at Brewster Park, Enniskillen.

But manager Frank Dawson, while delighted with his team’s progress, acknowledges that there is work to be done before they confront Monaghan champions Latton in next Sunday’s semi-final.

“We finished strongly but there are areas of our game we have to work on,” said Dawson.

Certainly Burren showed a sharp appetite for the fray when they swept into a 0-8 to 1-1 lead despite Seamus Quigley’s goal having given Roslea a good early boost.

But Roslea were unable to shackle their opponents’ lively attack in which James McGovern and substitute Paudie Poland flashed danger signals when in possession.

It was in the second quarter that Burren looked particularly sharp with Donal O’Hare (3), Anto McArdle (2), Sean Murdock and McGovern grabbing the points that hoisted them clear at the half-way stage.

But Roslea never had any intention of raising the white flag.

They responded vigorously at the start of the second half with the dangerous Quigley firing over three points to re-ignite his side’s challenge and rouse their eager fans.

Murdock landed an opportunist score to give Burren a tenuous two-point cushion but the dismissals of McGovern and Niall Cosgrove meant that both teams were reduced to 14 players.

The Burren defence was coming under increased pressure but the switch of Gerard McCartan into a central role proved a master stroke, the latter cancelling out the menace that Quigley had carried throughout.

Yet at 0-10 to 1-5 Roslea were very much in contention although Burren appeared to be getting the upper hand at midfield.

And when Colm McGovern and Cathal Murdock hit the target the indications were that Burren would finish the match with a flourish.

But when Declan O’Reilly fired in Roslea’s second goal they still looked capable of salvaging the game.

However, two points from play and a superb goal from Poland saw Burren safely over the line and into next weekend’s showdown with Latton which promises to be another very hard-fought affair.

Burren: C Murdock (0-1); R McGovern, D McCartan, G McCartan; K McKernan, C McGovern, D McEntee; A Higgins, A McArdle; C McGovern (0-2), S Murdock (0-2), E Toner; D O'Hare (0-5, 3f), J McGovern (0-2), S McArdle (0-2). Subs: P Poland (1-1) for Toner (51), E McCartan for Murdock (58)

Roslea: G Deery; P Sherry, P McKenna, C Quigley; M Beggan, P Lynch, N Cassidy; K Cosgrove, M Renfrew; S Lynch, L Lynch (0-1), N Cosgrove, B Sherlock, Seamus Quigley (1-4, pen, 4f), Sean Quigley. Subs: D Reilly (1-0) for Sherlock (h-t), R McCormack for McKenna (45), R Connolly for L Lynch (58).

Referee: P Hughes (Armagh).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph