Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Unimpressive Dublin take the Leinster crown

Dublin 2-12 Wexford 1-12

Dublin regained the Leinster football championship at Croke Park yesterday without ever looking like potential All-Ireland champions.

They were expected to win comfortably against Wexford but instead they struggled for long periods prompting manager Pat Gilroy to ring the changes as the match progressed.

Lady Luck smiled on them, however, when the ball finished up in the net after Wexford full back Ger Molloy and keeper Anthony Masterson collided.

Before the losers had time to regroup, Alan Brogan had tagged on a Dublin point and then Wexford suffered a second hammer blow five minutes later when James McCarthy (pictured) rifled home a fine individual goal.

That score effectively marked the beginning of the end for Wexford, who now have to be content with a place in the All Ireland qualifiers.

Twice in the opening 10 minutes the sides were level before Dublin eased ahead with points from keeper Stephen Cluxton, Paul Flynn, Bryan Cullen and Bernard Brogan.

But, as half time approached, Wexford reeled them in with points from Alan Flynn and two from the ever dangerous Ben Brosnan leaving only a point separating the sides at the inerval Dublin 0-7 to 0-6.

Ten minutes into the second half, Redmond Barry finished off a delightful sweeping move to the Dublin net and suddenly the rank outsiders were ahead — but then cane that calamitous drop in concentration which allowed the Liffeysiders to win through.

DUblin: S Cluxton (0-1, '45), M Fitzsimons, R O'Carroll, P Conlon, J McCarthy (1-0), G Brennan, K Nolan, D Bastick (0-1), E Fennell, P Flynn (0-1), A Brogan (0-3), B Cullen (0-1), E O'Gara, D Connolly, B Brogan (0-3, 1f).

Subs: T Quinn for Connolly (31), K McMenamin (0-1) for O'Gara (h-t), B Cahill for Fennell (51), D Henry for B Brogan, R McConnell (0-1) for Quinn (68)

Wexford: A Masterson, J Wadding, G Molloy (1-0, o.g.), B Malone, A Flynn (0-1), D Murphy, A Doyle, D Waters, R Quinlivan, S Roche, C Lyng (0-2), B Brosnan (0-9, 4f, 2 '45), C Morris, E Bradley, R Barry (1-0). Subs: PJ Banville for Roche (40), A Morrissey for Doyle (54), P Byrne for Morris (62), L Og McGovern for Quinlivan (64)

Referee: J McQuillan (Cavan).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph