Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

UUJ eye revenge after easing into Sigerson decider

By Orla Bannon

Jordanstown 1-12 UUJ 0-7: UUJ booked their place in today's Sigerson Cup final after a 1-12 to 0-7 win over UCD at Queen's.

Jordanstown will play UCC in the final (6.45pm), in a repeat of the 2011 decider, after the Cork side defeated NUI Maynooth 1-14 to 0-12 in the other semi-final.

UUJ took advantage of horrendous conditions to lead 1-10 to 0-2 at half-time having had a strong wind and driving rain at their backs in the first-half.

Conor McAlliskey opened the scoring for Jordanstown and Armagh's Jamie Clarke hit the only goal of the game after four minutes with a brilliant left-footed finish across the goalkeeper.

Monaghan player Kieran Hughes set up the goal for Clarke and he top-scored with 0-5.

Tyrone's Ronan O'Neill, Conor McAlliskey and Mattie Donnelly were rested by Mickey Harte for the McKenna Cup final on Wednesday night and they hit 0-5 between them for their university side yesterday.

Jamie Clarke received a black card on 59 minutes for a deliberate trip, but the game was long over as a contest.

Both sides only scored two points against a very difficult wind in the second-half.

UUJ led by 1-7 before UCD got their first score after 21 minutes, through a free from Dublin All-Ireland winner Paul Mannion.

Westmeath midfielder John Heslin went on to hit 0-4 for UCD, three from frees, but the damage had been done early in the game by Adrian McGuckin's UUJ side.

The GAA's new hooter system was trialled at yesterday's semi-final double bill, but referee Martin Higgins did not recognise the hooter sounding and played 21 seconds over the allotted time at the end of Jordantown's game.

Twenty-one-times Sigerson Cup champions UCC beat UUJ in the 2011 final and they had two men sent-off in a battling 1-14 to 0-12 victory over Maynooth.

Alan Cronin (39) and Michael Quinlivan (49) were both dismissed, with Cronin's straight red card meaning he is suspended for today's final.

Kerry forward Conor Cox hit 0-7 for UCC, including four brilliant points into a gale-force wind in the second-half. Three of the four points were frees off the outside of the boot and he drilled a low shot over the bar late on to kill off NUI.

Paul Geaney scored 1-3 for UCC, all in the first-half, but it was Cox's gutsy points into the wind which were the real match-winners.

Maynooth were the team with the star names and All-Ireland winners Paddy McBrearty from Donegal and Michael Darragh McAuley from Dublin were influential.

McBrearty was top scorer with 0-6, including three from play.

UUJ: R Beggan; B Tierney, C McKaigue, D McNally; L Keaney, C Walshe, K Clarke (0-1); M Donnelly (0-1), N McKeever; K Hughes (0-5, 3f), R O'Neill (0-2, 1f), D Savage; J Clarke (1-1), C O'Boyle, C McAlliskey (0-2).

Subs: P Devlin for O'Neill (49), R Donnelly for O'Boyle (50), C Duffin for M Donnelly (55), P Hughes for Clarke (57), R O'Neill for Clarke (BC, 59).

UCD: E Keogh; R Wylie, D Byrne, R Tierney; C Lenehan, P O'Harnan, J McCaffrey; J Maloney, J Heslin (0-4, 3f); B Fenton, M O'Hanlon, R McDaid; R Basquel, M Hughes (0-1), P Mannion (0-1, f).

Subs: J Hayes for Tierney (36), A O Murichu for O'Harnan (38), L Connerton for O'Hanlon (43), P Kingston for Mannion (40), C Sheridan (0-1) for Fenton (47).

Referee: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh).

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph