Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

UUJ made to pay for missed chances

UUJ 1-13NUI Maynooth 2-12

Underdogs NUI Maynooth caused a major upset at Jordanstown yesterday by knocking UUJ out of the Sigerson Cup, at the quarter-final stage.

The visitors pulled off the surprise result with 14 players as Dublin senior centre-back Ger Brennan was red-carded in the 38th minute after a charge on Ciaran Donnelly. Brennan had received a yellow card in the first half but his team mates rose to the occasion and made light of their numerical disadvantage.

This was Division One leaders against the Division Two winners and for the opening quarter it looked as if UUJ would vindicate their hot favouritism. They cut lanes through the opposition and lead by 0-5 to 0-0 after 11 minutes and also had two excellent goaling chances.

Maynooth didn’t get their opening score until the 17th minute but four minutes later they had a stroke of luck when UUJ ‘keeper Steve Kane palmed out a cross into the path of Na Fianna player David Quinn who slammed the ball to the home net.

The other David Quinn from pointed a free-kick and Maynooth looked dangerous as the gap was closed to 0-6 to 1-2.

UUJ regrouped to rifle over three points to one for the opposition and leave the half-time tally in Jordanstown’s favour 0-9 to 1-3.

Maynooth upped their game after Brennan’s sending off. They rattled over three points to just one in reply and tie the game on 46 minutes at 0-10 to 1-7. It was Quinn who levelled from a free-kick and two minutes later he put Maynooth ahead for the first time.

It was tight but substitutions did the trick for Maynooth. Quinn was fouled in the penalty area and Dunne blasted the spot kick home while replacements Hanratty and Barry added points. O’Boyle grabbed a consolation goal for UUJ but the winners had the last say with a Walsh point.

\[Peter Hutcheon\]”Maynooth got a lot of possession in the second half and they used it well,” said a bitterly disappointed UUJ joint manager Adrian McGuckin.

UUJ: S Kane; A Girvin, C Murney, S Morgan; C McGinley (0-2), S O’Neill, R McNabb; E Kenny (0-1), D Hughes; J McAnulla (0-2), T McCann, C Donnelly (0-1); J Clarke (0-1, free), C Cavanagh (0-1), C McManus (0-5, all frees). Subs: D Mone for Murney (45), L Hinphey for Donnelly (51), C O’Boyle (1-0) for Kenny (51).

MAYNOOTH: S Connolly; K Lynch, B Kinahan, C Freeman; T Gallagher, G Brennan, T Johnston; G McArdle, J Califf; D Quinn (Lucan Sarsfield’s) (0-4, all frees), N Coyne (0-1), C Mullins (0-1); D Quinn (Na Fianna, Dublin) (1-0), M Newman (0-1), N Dunne (1-1, 1-0 pen. 0-1 free). Subs: P Cashin for Gallagher (21), A Walsh (0-1) for Califf (half-time), M Hanratty (0-2) for D Quinn (Na Fianna) (45), J Dolan for Johnston (54), F Barry (0-1)for McArdle (59).

Referee: P Mullan (Antrim).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph