Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Vital O'Hare strike forced Tipp to leave space: Tally

Down 1-13 Tipperary 1-10

Donal O'Hare
Donal O'Hare

By Gareth McCullough

Down manager Paddy Tally felt that Donal O'Hare's goal 11 minutes from time was the turning point that led to his side seeing off Tipperary at Pairc Esler on Sunday.

After finding themselves three points adrift following a first half display that lacked the necessary intensity, Tally's men eventually hit the front when O'Hare drove home to make it 1-9 to 1-7.

They never looked back after that with substitute Cory Quinn the star of the show late on as he hit three points after coming off the bench early in the second period.

"I think when we got our noses in front, Tipperary had to come out and play a bit," said Tally.

"They came out on the front foot and created space at the back and we were able to exploit those spaces.

"Before that, Tipperary were quite comfortable to sit back there, crowd that area and force you really to drop balls short and miss chances.

"The goal had a big factor in the game. Once the goal went in, Tipperary had to come out and chase the game a wee bit and that allowed us then to get in behind them. The goal was so important in that match."

The hosts got off to the perfect start with Pat Havern pointing after just 40 seconds, but some wayward shooting, particularly from the placed ball, cost them in the first half as Tipp managed to keep the scoreboard ticking over in their favour.

They got their goal just before the quarter hour when Philip Austin cut through a static Down defence to lash the ball past the helpless Rory Burns, and despite Mourne skipper Darren O'Hagan keeping Tipp dangerman Michael Quinlivan quiet for most of the game, the visitors were always out in front.

That all changed with O'Hare's goal before Quinn, Paul Devlin and a third sub, Barry O'Hagan, knocked over later scores to seal Down's passage into the second round as Tipp boss Liam Kearns announced he was stepping down following the defeat.


Down: P Havern (0-3), C Quinn (0-3), D O'Hare (1-0), C Harrison (0-2), B O'Hagan (0-1), R Burns (0-1, 45); D O'Hagan (0-1), J Johnston (0-1), P Devlin (0-1)

Tipperary: P Austin (1-1), B Fox; C Sweeney (0-4, all frees), L McGrath (0-2, both frees), L Casey (0-1), J Kennedy (0-1, '45), M Quinlivan (0-1)

Referee: Fergal Kelly (Longford).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph