Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Watch: Goalkeeper Morgan kicks late equalising point as Tyrone come back to draw

Roscommon 1-10 Tyrone 1-10

Tyrone's Niall Morgan scored three points on Sunday
Tyrone's Niall Morgan scored three points on Sunday
Tyrone's Niall Morgan sends his kick towards the post.
Man marked: Roscommon’s Cathal Cregg puts pressure on Niall Sludden

By Kevin Kelly

Tyrone staged a second-half comeback at Hyde Park to salvage a share of the spoils and get their first Allianz National league point at the third time of asking.

Things certainly didn't look good for the visitors as, after trailing by six points at the break, they conceded an early second-half goal, but Roscommon failed to score after that as Tyrone surged back.

Roscommon had the wind at their backs in the first half and they made great use of it with a number of outstanding points on their way to establishing a 0-10 to 0-4 interval advantage, all of their scores coming from play.

Peter Harte opened the scoring from a free before Roscommon levelled matters with a superb score from distance from full back Conor Daly. Conor Cox, who won two All-Ireland Junior medals with Kerry, was proving a real thorn in the Tyrone defence as he landed the first of three first half points.

Harte and Cox traded scores before Tyrone full back Ronan McNamee got forward to fist a good point, their only score from play in the first half.

The rest of the half belonged to the home side as they played some outstanding football.

They almost got in for a goal in the 20th minute but full forward Donie Smith was unlucky to see his shot hit the base of the post.

A flowing move saw Shane Kiloran put them back in front before Tyrone missed a great goal chance moments later when Cathal McShane shot wide after being put through by Brian Kennedy.

While Tyrone continued to play the ball backways Roscommon were more direct as they pushed up on keeper Niall Morgan's kickouts and took some great scores.

In the space of five minutes they had opened up a six-point gap thanks to efforts from Cox, Kiloran, Smith, Niall Kilroy and a wonder score from fully 50 metres out from wing half back Ronan Daly.

Peter Harte had the final say of the half from another placed ball but his side had it all to do in the second period.

Two Harte frees narrowed the gap on the restart before Cox squared the ball for Ultan Harney to palm the ball into the net in the 43rd minute.

That's when Tyrone threw caution to the wind with keeper Niall Morgan landing a mammoth 60m free before a long delivery in from Kyle Coney was flicked to the net by McShane in the 50th minute.

Darren McCurry pointed from play before another long-range Morgan free reduced the deficit to the minimum. With three minutes to go Morgan sent over the equaliser with an outstanding effort from play.

Watch it here:

Tyrone were then reduced to 14 men when Mattie Donnelly was black carded and Tyrone had used all their substitutes. In the last attack of the game Roscommon won a scoreable 20m free, but after consulting with his umpires the referee hopped the ball and that proved to be the last action of the game.

Roscommon: D O'Malley, D Murray, C Daly (0-1), E McGrath, C Mussey, C Devaney, R Daly (0-1), T O'Rourke, E Smith, S Kiloran (0-2), U Harney (1-1), N Kilroy (0-1), C Cox (0-3), D Smith (0-1), C Cregg. Subs: C Compton for Cregg, G Patterson for Kilroy, H Darcy for O'Rourke, A Lyons for Cox

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-3, 2F), M McKernan, R McNamee (0-1), C McLaughlin, T McCann, R Brennan, P Harte (0-5, 3F), B Kennedy, B McDonnell, M Donnelly, N Sludden, K McGeary, D McCurry (0-1), C McShane (1-0), P Hampsey. Subs: C Meyler for McLaughlin, HP McGeary for McNamee, K Coney for Sludden, F Burns for Brennan, H Loughran for McDonnell

Referee: N Mooney (Cavan).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph