Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport GAA

Watty Graham's justify odds as they see off Killeavy

Watty Graham's 4-7 Killeavy 1-7: Watty Graham’s from Glen carried the favourites’ tag lightly on their broad shoulders during yesterday’s Danske Bank Ulster Club Minor Football final, at Shaw’s Road in Belfast, as they retained the provincial title.

The defending champions, from Derry, were tipped to keep the Jimmy McConville Cup right from the start of the campaign.

They never failed their supporters and polished off the competition with a comprehensive defeat of Killeavy on a 4-7 to 1-7 ticket.

It may not have been the winners’ best display of the competition but they were complete masters throughout after starting with a whirlwind scoring blast to be 2-2 to 0-0 up, after just 10 minutes.

Glen’s early blitz rocked the Orchard County winners but the likes of midfielder Michael Murphy, full-back Donal O’Neill and Kyle Mallon tried extremely hard to stem the tide task but, overall, the losers lacked the physical ability to match the holders.

In attack, the Armagh champions were too lightweight for the bigger and more experienced Glen men.

Yesterday, Cahir McCabe bounced off the bench and inside two minutes had rifled over two points which proved that not only the 15 starters were match winners but the reserves were just as useful.

A point after 90 seconds by Stephen O’Hara set the winners on their way.

In the fourth minute, Paul Gunning netted on four minutes and less than a minute later Danny Tallon rifled home another goal with O’Hara kicking a point to open a 2-2 to 0-0 gap.

Glen’s third goal, following a swift attack that started with Ryan Dougan in midfield, carried on by Conor Glass and finished by Tallon for his second major, in the 25th minute, left the winners in command at 3-3 to 0-2 at the break.

Killeavy were extremely unlucky to lose star defender Donal O’Neill with a leg injury eight minutes after the restart and, to plug the gap, Murphy went into defence but, later, he pulled up too. However, he stayed in the game, even though not fully fit.

After sub McCabe rifled over his two points, Dougan rattled the Killeavy net again in the 48th minute to open a 15 points gap and completely slam the door shut at 4-7 to 0-4. Glen didn’t need to score again, during the closing 14 minutes, as Killeavy added three superb points and, in injury time, scrambled home a goal.

Dougan, a powerhouse in midfield, won the Anne Marie Donnelly Memorial Trophy as Man-of-the-Match with Ciarán McFaul lifting the Jimmy McConville Cup, as capain.

GLEN: C McCloy; C McDevitt, R McDonnell, O Hegarty; C Glass, C Carville, C Mulholland; R Dougan (1-0), C Gallagher; T Convery, C McFaul (0-3, 1f), S O’Hara (0-2, 1f); P Gunning (1-0), C Convery, D Tallon (2-0). Subs: C McCabe (0-2) for Gunning (45), K McErlean for C Convery (51), C Glass for Mulholland (52), G O’Connor for Tallon (53).

KILLEAVY: C Fearon; P Byrne, D O’Neill, M McGenity; N King (0-1), j Cosgrove, K Mallon (0-1); M Murphy (0-1), E McParland; C McConville, C O’Hanlon (0-2, 1f), N Holywood; M Boyle, k O’Hare (0-2, 1f), T Hannaway. Subs: M McNamee (1-0) for Holywood (half-time), C McKinney for O’Neill (38), N Hannaway for King (42), T Connolly for McGenity (57), S Mooney for T Hannaway (58).

Referee: D Connolly (Monaghan).

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph