Charley Hoffman joins roll of honour with hole in one at 16th at Augusta
The American’s ace was the 20th at Redbud in Masters history.
The 16th hole at Augusta witnessed yet another hole in one on Masters Sunday thanks to Charley Hoffman.
The pin at Redbud was in its traditional Sunday position in the back left part of the green, with a welcoming slope funnelling a well-placed tee shot at the 170-yard hole down towards the target.
Hoffman did not take the well-worn path, instead bumping off the bank adjacent to the greenside bunker and into the left side of the hole, but nonetheless emulated Matt Kuchar last year and a host of others in recent times.
Here, Press Association Sport reviews the history of final-round aces at the 16th:
– There were a remarkable three holes in one in 2016. Shane Lowry and Davis Love both achieved the feat but were then upstaged by Louis Oosthuizen – the South African’s ball was tracking close to the hole when it amazingly hit that of playing partner JB Holmes and ricocheted in.
– Bo Van Pelt and Adam Scott both holed out from the 16th tee in 2012, as did Nathan Green and Ryan Moore two years earlier.
– In 2004’s last round, there were aces in successive groups from Padraig Harrington and Kirk Triplett.
– Raymond Floyd in 1996 and Trevor Immelman in 2005 have also made round-four holes in one at Redbud.
– Corey Pavin in 1992 and Ian Poulter in 2008 aced the hole in earlier rounds of the tournament.
– Prior to Pavin’s strike, there had not been a hole in one there since Clive Clark achieved the feat in 1968. That was only the fifth in history at the hole, following Ross Somerville (1934), Willie Goggin (1935), Ray Billows (1940) and John Dawson (1949).
– Augusta’s other three par threes – the fourth, sixth and 12th – have witnessed just nine aces between them in Masters history.
Holes in one at hole 16 of the Masters
*Ross Somerville, 1934 (mashie niblick, 145 yards)
Willie Goggin, 1935 (spade mashie, 145 yards)
*Ray Billows, 1940 (8-iron, 145 yards)
*John Dawson, 1949 (4-iron, 190 yards)
Clive Clark, 1968 (2-iron, 190 yards)
Corey Pavin, 1992 (8-iron, 140 yards)
Raymond Floyd, 1996 (5-iron, 182 yards)
Padraig Harrington, 2004 (6-iron, 177 yards)
Kirk Triplett, 2004 (6-iron, 177 yards)
Trevor Immelman, 2005 (7-iron, 177 yards)
Ian Poulter, 2008 (8-iron, 169 yards)
Nathan Green, 2010 (6-iron, 176 yards)
Ryan Moore, 2010 (7-iron, 176 yards)
Bo Van Pelt, 2012 (6-iron, 202 yards)
Adam Scott, 2012 (7-iron, 202 yards)
Shane Lowry, 2016 (8-iron, 181 yards)
Davis Love III, 2016 (7-iron, 181 yards)
Louis Oosthuizen, 2016 (7-iron, 181 yards)
Matt Kuchar, 2017 (7-iron, 170 yards)
Charley Hoffman, 2018 (6-iron, 170 yards)
* – amateur