Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Golf

Ernie Els victorious after playing two rounds in one day

Ernie Els claimed a fifth South African Open title after his final-round six-under-par 63 helped him edge out another former champion, Retief Goosen, by a shot in Durban.

Two rounds were played at the Durban Country Club yesterday after rain earlier in the week had washed out almost the entire first day, while further showers in the early hours of yesterday morning delayed play and also made the par-three fourth green unplayable. It meant that instead of 36 holes, only 34 were played making the par score 69 rather than 72.

And three-time major winner Els, who fired a 64 earlier in the day, followed it up with another excellent display as he carded five birdies, an eagle and a bogey to end on 25 under overall.

He by no means cruised to victory, though, as Goosen rallied late on with four birdies in his last five holes.

But the charge proved too late for the championship winner from 1995 and 2005, and despite emulating Els' 63, he fell just short on 24 under overall.

Another major winner in reigning Open champion Louis Oosthuizen ended four stokes further back after a 63 in the final round, while rising youngster Charl Schwartzel (64) finished on 18 under to make it a top four for South Africa.

Els, who picked up a prize of €158,500 (£132,989) after securing his third title of the year, said: “It was a wonderful choice to come here. This really makes the year very good now.

“Playing under a lot of pressure, with really good players in the field on a great golf course. It was a great championship.”

The title added to his previous ones in 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2006 and was made even more special considering it came in the 100th playing of the tournament.

Els, 41, described playing two rounds in a day during such a big competition as an “incredible feeling”.

He added: “I've been playing the game for quite some time, 20 years now as a professional player, and I've never had a day like that.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph