| 11.5°C Belfast

Diane Robb's double fires Garvey into fourth

Lisnagarvey moved into fourth place in the Ulster Premier League table with an excellent 4-2 win over Harlequins at Comber Road on Saturday.

But their priority remains survival in the top flight after being promoted at the first time of asking last season.

With the half-way point in the new campaign fast approaching even Garvey are not safe despite their lofty position as just three points separate six teams in the lower regions of the table.

But if they can reproduce the form they displayed on Saturday against the team that proved their nemesis last season then it's hard to see them going down.

Harlequins beat them in the league and the cup and went on to win the Senior One title with a degree of comfort.

But Saturday's was their third defeat on the bounce so they too are far from safe even though like Garvey they have 10 points to their name.

Garvey coach Simon Toole was delighted with his team's display after they showed great character to come back from a goal down to lead 4-1 before Quins hit a late consolation.

"The girls have been working very hard and while we would have settled for 10 points at this stage of the season we have a tough game at Ballymoney next Saturday and that will be the half way point of the season." he said.

Diane Robb stole the show with a superb performance as she was the architect of most of her team's attacks and penalty corners and scored two of the goals.

But it was Quins who took the lead in the 12th minute when Ruth Millar scored from the penalty spot.

That setback stung Garvey into action and Rose Montgomery and Sarah Colgan combined to set up Anya Coffey for the equaliser in the 23rd minute.

Robb made it 2-1 within 60 seconds when she hammered the ball home on the reverse for a terrific goal.

Just before the break the towering striker was in the right place at the right time to tap the ball home at the far post after a corner had fallen into her path.

Twelve minutes after the restart Laura Murray killed the game off when her penalty corner effort was deflected home off defender Jenni McClelland's stick.

Millar hit 'Garvey's late consolation, again from the penalty spot, after Jenna Watt had been stick tackled in the circle.

Queen's moved on to eight points after a 2-0 win over basement side Armagh at Ardmore but coach Simon Bell wasn't overly impressed by the display.

"It was a poor game – a bit like watching two third rate featherweights but it was an important result for us," he said.

Jodie Kee got the opener in the first half before Laura Gamble added number two after the break.

On Friday, Chloe Brown's hat-trick enabled leaders Ards to come back from 2-0 down to beat Randalstown 3-2. Champions Pegasus defeated Lurgan 3-0 and the Ulster Elks beat Ballymoney 3-1.

In Senior One North Down moved into promotion contention after thumping second placed Larne 6-0. Portadown stay top after a 3-2 win at Banbridge, while there were also wins for Ballymena, Ballyclare and Victorians.

In the Irish Junior Cup there were victories for Harlequins II, Pegasus II and Portadown II.

Belfast Telegraph