Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Hockey

Gleghorne's strike gives Lisnagarvey derby triumph

By Graham Hamilton

It's wonderful the difference a week makes ... and if you don't believe that, then ask Lisnagarvey, Cookstown and Railway Union.

Garvey, of course, crashed 5-2 at home to Monkstown last week but Errol Lutton's lads propelled themselves back into EY Irish Hockey League contention by making the short journey to Havelock Park where they defeated derby rivals Banbridge 2-1.

It was Irish international defender Paul Gleghorne who sent them on the road to success with his first goal for his new club.

And Daniel Buser was credited with the second after the ball struck goalkeeper Gareth Lennox on the helmet and squirmed over him and into the net before Johnny McKee set up a grandstand finish with a clincial finish.

It now means Ulster's Big Two, Bann and Garvey, have lost one game each and trail early leaders Cork C of I who made it three wins from three with a 2-0 win over Annadale yesterday.

Cookstown were another who turned things round big time inside seven days.

Steven Cuddy's side lost 3-1 at home to Pembroke last week but in a blistering second half they struck four goals in 16 minutes to crush Glenanne 5-1.

The Dubliners didn't help themselves by taking off their keeper late in the game in an effort to force the issue, during which they conceded two goals, but it made little difference as the Tyrone side were already coasting to a comfortable win.

Railway Union were the third team to rally dramatically. After last week's 6-1 drubbing at home to Banbridge, they came from a goal down to beat Three Rock.

The addition of David Richardson and goalscorer Nick Tate from Australia no doubt boosted them and they could be a threat in the coming weeks.

Monkstown were involved in the EuroHockey League in Hamburg where they drew 0-0 with East Grinstead and then came back from three goals down against Spanish side Egara to score three times in the final four minutes to force a draw.

Unfortunately it means they don't qualify for the next round but the disappointment was offset somewhat when they learned about the Bann and Three Rock defeats which leaves them in a strong IHL position.

The IHL now takes a three-week sabbatical, with Ireland playing Argentina in a mini-series from October 14-17 followed by the Irish schoolboy championships and then the opening round battles of the Irish Senior Cup.

Meanwhile the Ulster Premier League and Senior One programmes got under way following the Kirk Cup and Linden Cup pool phases, and respective favourites Instonians and Bangor got off to winning starts.

Inst struck four times against Mossley inside the opening 17 minutes, with James Dowling and James Corry each getting a double in the 6-1 success.

Stephen Kelso chipped in with his eighth goal of the season and William Robinson wrapped things up in the second half.

There were away wins for Kilkeel and Raphoe and for Bangor, Campbellians and Ballynahinch in Senior One.

EY Irish Hockey League: Banbridge 1 (J McKee) Lisnagarvey 2 (P Gleghorne, D Buser); Cookstown 5 (K Black 2, J Ames, Todd, M Crooks) Glenanne 1; Three Rock Rovers 1 (G Ringwood)Railway Union 2 (N Tate, C Reilly); Cork C of I 2 (S Wolfe, P Sweetnam) Annadale 0

Ulster Premier League: Instonians 6 (J Dowling 2, J Corry 2, S Kelso, W Robinson) Mossley 1 (R McClintock); Harlequins 1 (C Lemon) Raphoe 3 (M Leckey, B Wallace, L Witherow); South Antrim 3 (C Henry 2, A Glass) Kilkeel 4 (G Russell 2, W Annett, E Agnew)

Senior One: Antrim 2 (J McMeekin, S McIlroy) Bangor 3 (R Cunningham 2, H Dow); Campbellians 3 (J Hall, G Mack, J Easley) Cliftonville 2 (D Hurley, W Booker); Ballynahinch 5 Portrush 0

EuroHockey League: Monkstown 3 (K Good, G Watkins, P Caruth) Egara 3

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph