Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Hockey

Inst pay the penalty as Kilkeel reach their first Kirk Cup final


By Graham Hamilton

Kilkeel are through to the Boxing Day Kirk Cup final for the first time in their 93-year history.

The Mournemen beat Ulster Premier League rivals Instonians in a shoot-out following a 2-2 draw in the second semi-final at The Glade last night and will now face Mossley in the Christmas Holiday showpiece.

It looked like Kilkeel were on their way out when they conceded a goal in the second minute, Stuart McWilliams scoring.

And they were trailing by two at the interval after William Robinson's penalty corner drag flick found the top right-hand corner.

But two goals in a minute in the last quarter, from Eddie Agnew and David Finlay, forced the shuttles shoot-out and it was the Mournemen who held their nerve to go through 3-1 and earn the chance to take on Mossley in the decider.

Meanwhile, the Women's Irish Senior Cup first round game between Queen's and Belfast Harlequins at Upper Malone was abandoned after 20 minutes due to a waterlogged pitch with the teams level at 1-1.

The umpires decided to make a start but conditions worsened as the match progressed, leaving them with no alternative but to call proceedings to a halt.

Jenna Watt gave Quins the lead with a reverse-stick shot in the second minute before Tori Hastings equalised 13 minutes later after being set up by Anna Hutchinson.

The match will now be re-played at the same venue on Saturday (1pm), with the winners due to face Dublin side Pembroke Wanderers in the last 16.

Earlier in the day, Ballyclare High defeated Rainey Endowed 4-2 on penalties to lift the schoolgirls' Super League trophy at Stormont after a 1-1 draw.

The Co Antrim team broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time when a great run by Sophie McDowell set up Lauren McKee, who finished clinically.

Rainey forced extra-time with a Sarah Semple equaliser seven minutes after the break but Ballyclare held their nerve in the shoot-out, in which keeper Gemma Ferguson excelled, to win the trophy for the first time.

Earlier, Erin Adams hit a superb hat-trick for Bloomfield Collegiate, who defeated Foyle and Londonderry College 5-1 in the second-tier final.

Heidi Mitchell had given the Belfast school a half-time lead and Ruth Bell was also on target, with Emma Johnston netting Foyle's late consolation.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph