Belfast Telegraph

Home Sport Hockey

Lisnagarvey miss out on ICL crown but set sights on Cup

Collision course: Luke Madeley of Three Rock Rovers clashes with Daniel Nelson of Lisnagarvey yesterday
Collision course: Luke Madeley of Three Rock Rovers clashes with Daniel Nelson of Lisnagarvey yesterday
Jody Hoskins

By Graham Hamilton

Lisnagarvey didn't manage to add the EY Irish Champions Trophy to the already won EY Irish Hockey League title when they lost to current holders Three Rock Rovers at Havelock Park yesterday afternoon.

But Errol Lutton's young squad won't be wallowing in sorrow for too long - they turn their attentions to this Saturday's Irish Senior Cup final when Three Rock and captain Jody Hoskins are again their opponents.

The Blues, with injured Andy Williamson injured, were unable to reproduce the form that swept aside Glenanne 6-0 in Saturday's semi-final, with Three Rock's high pressing and solid defending curtailing their chances.

Garvey had five schoolboys in their ranks - Troy Chambers, Harry Morris, Jonny Lynch Oliver Kidd and Ben Wallace, and again they were impressive, although at times they were being outmuscled by Three Rock's robust challenges.

Matthew Nelson, Andy Edgar and Andrew McKibben also caught the eye along with the ever-reliable Jonathan Bell but it wasn't to be their day.

Twice Troy Chambers was unlucky to hit woodwork and keeper Jamie Carr kept out five penalty corners as well as half-chances from Daniel Nelson and Chambers again.

Luke Madeley opened Three Rock's account with a penalty corner conversion on the half-hour and John Mullins made sure of success 14 minutes from the end after Ben Walker controlled a high ball and it broke for his colleague to slam home.

In Saturday's semi-finals, Garvey kept it tight early on against Glenanne but gradually grew into the game and ran out comfortable 6-0 winners with Matthew Nelson scoring twice and Andy Williamson, Troy Chambers, Daniel Nelson and Oliver Kidd also on the mark.

Banbridge's quest ended in a 4-2 defeat against Three Rock, with Eugene Magee and Jamie Wright on the scoresheet, but it also signalled the end of Mark Tumilty's nine-year reign as head coach.

"My decision to leave has not been taken lightly," he said.

"However, I feel that this is an appropriate time to hand over the reigns to allow me more time to spend with my family and to allow someone else to further develop the current group of fine players. There have been many highlights and it has been a privilege to work with an exceptional group of players."

During his spell Bann won the IHL, Irish Senior Cup, Ulster Premier League and Anderson Cup twice each and the Kirk Cup three times. He also led them to the EuroHockey League's group stages once and to the knock-out stages once.

EY Irish Hockey League Promotion/Relegation Play-off (St Columba's College): Cork C of I 4 (J Bruton 2, P Brownlow, J Jermyn) UCD 4 (D Nolan 3, P Lynch) UCD win 3-2 on penalty runs

Saturday: EY Irish Champions Trophy semi-finals: Lisnagarvey 6 (M Nelson 2, A Williamson, T Chambers, D Nelson, O Kidd) Glenanne 0; Three Rock Rovers 4 (L Madeley, M Darling, M English, R Canning) Banbridge 2 (E Magee, J Wright).


Three Rock Rovers2

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph