| 8.9°C Belfast

No luck in draw for Annadale

Annadale had barely time to relish their remarkable 4-1 Irish Senior Cup success over joint Leinster League leaders Dublin YMCA when word filtered through of the second round draw.

It wasn't what coaches Andrew Smyth and Andrew McBride wanted to hear, but their team will be heading to the far south for the second round on November 12 to face Munster champions Cork Harlequins.

But the two Andrews shrugged off the bad news and told their young side to savour their success over YMCA.

In fact, two Ulster teams will be off to Cork — Lisnagarvey go to C of I in another difficult tie.

The draw threw up three all-Ulster ties, the pick being the clash between Cookstown and Banbridge at Coolnafranky.

These two will have a dress rehearsal next week when they meet in the opening round of Irish Hockey League fixtures.

The Annadale result, though, certainly opened a few eyes elsewhere.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

And they managed to achieve it without their experienced defender David Smyth, who missed the game through illness.

But Gareth Kidd and Neil Hamilton marshalled the young players around them well enough to give Fraser Mills and Irish international Peter Caruth the chance to run at a defence who simply couldn't cope with speed.

Mills, who scored a wonder goal in last week’s Kirk Cup semi-final, scored another brilliant effort this week and is hoping to build on that over the next few months.

“It’s about time I started hitting the net regularly,” he said.

“YMCA played some lovely hockey, pushing the ball all round the pitch, but at the end of the day they didn’t have any firepower up front, and that’s what it’s all about.”

The Dale began strongly and Mills collected a great pass from Andy Williamson in the 15th minute to send a stunning reverse stick shot past Ireland international goalkeeper Iain Walker.

Then schoolboy Matthew Allister was barged off the ball in the 22nd minute and Neil Hamilton converted the penalty corner to leave YMCA frustrated and in danger of losing their discipline.

The Dubliners pushed forward more in the second half and Marcus Richardson began creating problems up front. He smacked the top of the post with a reverse stick shot and then in the 59th minute pulled a goal back with a delightful lob. But late Annadale goals from Caruth and teenager John Edgar wrapped things up.

Irish Senior Cup 2nd round (November 12): Cookstown v Banbridge, Cork C of I v Lisnagarvey, Cork Harlequins v Annadale, Instonians v Mossley, Belfast Harlequins v Civil Service, UCD v Glenanne, Monkstown v Pembroke Wanderers, Railway Union v Three Rock Rovers

Top Videos