Belfast Telegraph

Belfast Giants 6-4 Fife Flyers: Another Giant step towards the Elite title

Todd Kelman

After a slow start last night, the Giants skated to victory over the Fife Flyers with the help of a two-goal performance by Kevin Saurette to extend their lead at the top of the Elite League standings.

The visitors scored first when Matt Reber beat Stephen Murphy just as a Giants penalty expired to make it 0-1 with 9:08 gone in the opening period.

But the Giants battled back with Saurette scoring his 27th of the season to tie the game at 12:16 with assists going to his linemates Chris Higgins and Evan Cheverie.

Two minutes later, the trio combined for another goal, this time with Higgins tipping in a pass from Saurette as the Giants went 3-1 after 20 minutes of action.

The Flyers surprised the Giants early in the second period with two quick goals in less than 30 seconds to tie the game, the first coming at 5:57 from Derek Roehl then, 29 seconds later, from Jordan Fulton.

Saurette got the Giants back in front on the powerplay with his second of the game and 28th of the season at 10:51 of the second period to make it 4-3.

The defenceman Calvin Elfring made it 5-3 when he jumped into the play and scored on a wrap-around past Kevin Regan in net for the Flyers at 16:29 to end the second period with a scoreline of 5-3 in favour of the Giants.

The pace seemed to slow down in the third period with the Giants looking like they were in complete control.

Mark Garside made it 6-3 with his third goal of the season at 3:12 but the Flyers got one back to keep it close when Matt Reber scored his second of the game at 6:26 to round out the scoring with a final result of 6-4.

Another two wins this weekend for the Giants and a loss for both Sheffield and Dundee means the Belfast side are getting closer and closer each game to clinching the Elite League title.

Next weekend they travel to Nottingham for two games before returning to Belfast on February 21 and 22 to host the Coventry Blaze.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph