Belfast Telegraph

Craig Peacock is the late hero as the Belfast Giants eclipse Dundee Stars

Dundee 4-5 Belfast Giants

By Stuart McKinley

A dramatic comeback, followed by an overtime winner, gave the Belfast Giants the victory they needed to stay locked with the Cardiff Devils at the top of the Elite League - but it needn't have gone that far.

Trailing 4-2 to the Dundee Stars with 11 minutes to go, goals from player/coach Derrick Walser and Mike Forney brought the Giants level when they scored less than 30 seconds apart.

That gave Mark Garside the chance to win the game with a penalty shot four minutes later, but when he couldn't beat Stars' Czech goaltender Vlastimil Lakosil, a nervy sudden-death overtime period was confirmed.

That, however, lasted only 35 seconds with Craig Peacock firing home the Giants' winner to make it four wins from their last five games.

It was a heartbreaking finish for Dundee as they had never been behind in the game until Peacock struck.

Curtis Leinweber gave them the lead with just six minutes gone, but the Stars ran into penalty trouble and Forney netted the equaliser at 10:15 on the Giants' second powerplay in succession.

Dundee regained the lead on a powerplay of their own, with Riley Wetmore scoring in the final minute of the first period from Brett Switzer's assist.

Wetmore and Switzer then created the chance from which Justin Faryna put the Stars 3-1 up at 27:43 and it was 4-1 just 22 seconds later when Lou Dickenson found the net - amazingly, Dundee scoring twice from just six shots in the second period.

The Giants rallied quickly though and James Desmarais, took his goal tally to seven for the season at 32:29 to give his team a foothold in the game once again.

Walser and Forney's quick-fire double stunned the Stars and they were struggling to cope as they conceded that penalty shot.

Garside's miss meant it was anyone's game going into overtime, but Peacock made sure the Giants got the extra point as he finished from Mitch Ganzak's assist.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph