| 10.3°C Belfast

Giants close in on Clan

The Belfast Giants will head to Glasgow tonight with the huge incentive of cutting Braehead Clan's lead in the Elite League title race to just a single point.

After losing four of their last five games the Giants shot themselves back into contention with a convincing 6-3 victory over the Cardiff Devils at the Odyssey Arena last night.

And with just 11 games left after this weekend it will be all to play for if Steve Thornton's men can collect both points in Glasgow.

Tonight's match was always going to be the bigger one of the weekend for the Giants, but they had to make sure business was taken care of last night first in order to be able to put maximum pressure on the Clan.

And take care of business they did, taking control of the game when Mike Kompon scored with exactly 60 seconds on the clock and never letting go.

They even had to fight for the two points, with both David Phillips and Kevin Westgarth trading blows with opposing players during the game - the latter being thrown out as a result of his altercation in the final period.

With Calvin Elfring joining Stephen Murphy and Kevin Saurette on the injured list, as well as Cody Brookwell serving a suspension, the Giants were only able to ice 10 imports.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Their shortage of numbers didn't seem to matter when Craig Peacock and Ray Sawada created the opportunity from which Kompon opened the scoring to give the Giants a dream start.

It took until 89 seconds before the end of the first period for the Giants to register their second goal of the game, Westgarth taking advantage of Chris Culligan being off the ice to register his 13th goal of the season.

And it got even better for Steve Thornton's men when Peacock scored himself just 82 seconds into the second period.

Just as it looked like the Giants were going to win comfortably the game really sparked into life just a couple of minutes later. Evan Cheverie was sent to the box for cross checking and within seconds Doug Clarkson had pulled a goal back for the Devils.

Seeing their chance to get back into the match Cardiff's Joey Martin picked a fight with David Phillips and earned himself a lengthy stay in the penalty box.

Their attempt to swing the momentum of the game didn't work though as Peacock banged in his second goal of the game at 28:12 to restore the three-goal advantage.

Jake Morrisette did reduce the gap at 49:25, but Lloyd made it 5-2 less than two minutes later.

Westgarth's night came to an end a couple of minutes later and Culligan scored on the powerplay, but Cardiff's bid to rescue something from the game ended when Sawada hit an empty net goal in the final minute.

Top Videos