| 16.9°C Belfast

Six-hit Giants survive late scare to see off Capitals


On target: Blair Riley scores for the Belfast Giants in their 6-3 win at Edinburgh Capitals

On target: Blair Riley scores for the Belfast Giants in their 6-3 win at Edinburgh Capitals

On target: Blair Riley scores for the Belfast Giants in their 6-3 win at Edinburgh Capitals

The Belfast Giants hit the Edinburgh Capitals for six in last night, but only after surviving a late scare that almost brought the Scots level in the closing stages of the game.

Leading 2-0 through goals from Chris Higgins in the first period before Mike Forney netted in the second, the Giants looked to be heading for a comfortable victory.

Even when Michale DOrazio pulled a goal back for the Capitals five minutes before the end of the second period the Giants responded almost immediately through Blair Riley before Alex Foster made it 4-1 early in the third.

It was then that Edinburgh's fightback began.

Michael Dobron and Ian Schultz cut the deficit to a single goal and even though the Giants hit a post at one end, they were hanging on for a spell at the other until Riley and Alex Foster struck within 24 seconds of each other to seal the two points.

Edinburgh had made the better start to the game and had sustained pressure during an early powerplay, but couldn't convert that into a goal.

They were made to regret that when Forney won the puck from the Edinburgh defence and Higgins snapped up the rebound to give the Giants the lead at 8:28.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

The Giants should have been further ahead before they finally got their second goal at 32:42. Colin Shields picked out Forney as he skated forward and he had a simple task in beating Travis Fullerton in the Edinburgh goal.

A penalty call against Jim Vandermeer put Edinburgh on a powerplay and they took full advantage with DOrazio being credited with the goal at 35:09.

Less than a minute later the Giants were two goals to the good once again when Saviano skated through and put the puck between Fullerton's pads and into the net.

The goal that put the Giants 4-1 up after 41 seconds of the third period had quality written all over it. Higgins brought the puck out of the Giants' zone, fed Forney with a cross-ice pass and he put the pass right in front of Riley, who followed Saviano in firing through Fullerton's legs.

The Giants failed to capitalise on over a minute of a five-on-three powerplay as they went in search of a fifth goal and that allowed Edinburgh to get back into the game.

Dobron tipped in a shot from the point at 47:03 and Schultz then cracked a shot from distance that flew past Murphy at 48:13 to really crank up the pressure.

Steve Saviano rattled the pipes as the Giants tried to fend off the comeback, but it wasn't until the final minute and a half that the visitors' win was secured.

Foster scored on a powerplay at 58:28 and before things had settled down Riley hit his second and the sixth to ensure the Capitals weren't fighting back again.

Top Videos